Chapter 1

It was the usual day of the year. When the kids would asked me about their likes for their birthdays, their wishes, the gifts they wanted.

I smiled at my daughter, Lexi, who's whining like a little girl, well.. she is.

"Mama, I want a big princess themed-cake po for my birthday! Is it okay po mommy ko? I want like Mica's cake. Please, mama.. I will be good, I promise!"

I chuckled when I saw how adorable she is. My Lexi never fails to make me smile. And who am I to ruin her little dream?

When I was a kid, I was too sheltered by my parents. I know what the feeling of getting presents for birthdays. It's always the day I'm looking forward when I was in my daughter's age. And it would also make me happy if Lexi would feel that happiness too.

"Alright, baby. It's mommy's treat because you are so charming! What else do you like?"

She pointed her finger in her cheek like she was deeply thinking about it.

In my inside, I was so concerned with her wants. I know I have some money.. but technically, it's for our basic needs. Especially that we are living in an apartment that cost me a lot.

"I'm fine with the princess cake mommy! I don't know about Kuya, he said he likes cake too. But I'm not sure po.. "

Lexus, Lexi's twin. They are the reason why I keep getting better. I only wished to be a better mother for them. I don't want to fail them, like how I didn't protect someone so special before.

I'm contented. I feel loved with my children's embrace. But thinking about the future, will I be a good mother?

When somehow.. I've been a disappointment before they can even born.

I can't help but to think about their supposed to be life if they are with their father. I can support their needs but it will be different in what their father can give. They will enjoy the things they deserves. And they are growing into a curious child, which is kinda.. frightening.

Natatakot ako sa kakayahan nilang magtanong. Natatakot ako sa kakayahan nilang humingi sa mga bagay at pagkakataon na mahihirapan akong ibigay. Natatakot ako sa kakayahan nilang kumilala.. sa paraang sigurado akong hindi ko magugustuhan.

But I'm more afraid that I won't be able to resist them. That everything they wished, I would give. And even the most deepest secrets I wanted to keep, I will just end up giving all the answers they want to know.

And what if I'm not even enough for them? What if they will look for their father? And they chose to be with him?

That's what I'm most afraid of. He can separate me from my twins. And if hiding them is the only way to keep them, then I will gladly take the risks.

But even a child has their own curiosities.

"Our teacher said that a father is a part of family, Mama. But where is he po? Is he also working like Mica's Dad?" Lexi's usual question.

My worries started again. It was an innocent question for a child but I can't help but to feel terrified. They are still a child, but what will happen after years? If they are already aware of our situation? Will they be mad at me?

I hope not. Because it's my greatest fear.

"Just remember that I always love you and your Kuya, okay? Mommy will explain it to you when you grow up. But for now, just be child. Just stay adorable and full of warms, alright?" I caressed her hair.

I saw how she happily nodded. I'm sorry, my daughter. But I don't want to remove that smile on your face. I hope it stays. Hope she stays as my little girl forever. But on the other hand, I also wanted to see her grow. Like a fine woman.

"Are you done, Lexus?" I asked my boy when I saw him putting the strap of bag on his back.

He gave me a small smile and for a seconds, I saw his father with him. The image that I badly wanted to forget. But what can I do if my prince really looks like him?

Despite of everything, I can't help but to still admire his looks. I know it's a pity. But I have to live with it.

Anyway, Lexus' handsome so I gotta thank his father for that.

"Take care little ones, alright? Please call me if something happens.. "

Nang makaalis ang kambal patungo sa school nila ay agad naman akong naghanda para sa pagpasok sa trabaho. Kasalukuyan akong nagtratrabaho sa isang publishing company at nag-eextra sa isang modeling agency for local products tuwing sabado at linggo nang sa ganon ay matustusan namin ang pang-araw araw na pangangailangan lalo na't parehas nang nag-aaral ang kambal. Isama pa ang mga gastusin sa bahay.

It was tiring, alright. But it all disappears everytime I would see that my children are comfortable.

Maybe there's really a moment that will drag us down. There's no light. It's dark and you're raining tears. But as you try to believe in yourself, while keeping yourself strong as you come out from that dark tunnel, you will see light.

It's a small light at first. It just calms you. But it would resize into a bigger ball of light. And without realizing, you're already out from the tunnel. You overcome the dark side.

You passed the shadows.

In my case, He didn't just gave one light, they are two.

Like a normal employee, I work my ass off in the field that I don't really expect in the beginning. It was fine, there's really just some dreams that are not for us.

I clicked the door open of the taxi. Pauwi na ako galing sa trabaho at kailangan ko pang sunduin ang kambal. But before I can even give my address to the driver, my phone suddenly rangs.

It's from Lily, my bestfriend eversince forever? Well, I lost count.

"Hello? Is there a problem?" I asked when I answered her call. As far as I remember, she's in work right now. Lily sighed heavily. It makes me nervous all of the sudden. I'm sure it's important. Lily's not the type of person who would use her phone in workhours. Ser'yoso daw kasi siya sa buhay.

"Eli, malaki, " she answered. I stopped breathing for a seconds, calming and readying myself for the big problem she's talking. Lily likes to exaggerate things so I'm slighty calm. But.. I think I'm getting a cold feet.

"Bakit? Is it about work? Did I did something wrong? Like.. again?" I'm aware that my performance in work is not really that good. I've been working in the publishing company for a whole year and I can't still do a better job. Maybe because I did a lot of part time job before. And when I said a lot.. it really means.. so many. Like buy and sell, waitress, cashier, and even assistant in a veterinary clinic.

"Hindi ganoon. In fact, there's nothing wrong. Kaso ililipat ka, tayo. Hindi ko rin maintindihan eh, but that's not my point. We have a big problem, girl. I'm sorry for saying this pero . . . " She paused at tila naghahanap pa ng lakas para magsalita.

"I know you don't want to hear this ever again pero.. sa tingin ko, kailangan mong marinig. I'm sorry, really.. but it's Brandon Enterprises. "

I froze on my spot because of what she said.

That surname . . .

It's just a simple word, a word that I used to bear, a word that can make me keep insane. A word that can make me lose myself.

And a word that I don't want to hear again,

Never in my wildest dream . . .

ᕦʕ •ᴥ•ʔᕤ