Chapter 30 - Discoveries

Many hours later, some lights in the office were turned off and only the lights in Jack's office was lit.

Everybody went home already. Jack was recently done with his work and was too exhausted to eat dinner. He planned to just get out of the building, drive home and sleep it off.

He took his suitcase and settled everything down in his office before he left.

He went out of the office. The guard greeted him, "Take care sir,"

Jack was probably the only remaining person inside the building and the guard's farewell was also a celebratory in disguise. He didn't even look at the guard nor nodded to acknowledge his presence and just passed through him. He definitely had a bad day.

As he went out of the building to go to the reserved parking space for his car, a voice called out his name.

"Jorge?"

"And who are you?", he paused to look at the person who called him. It was a woman together with a man.

"We tried to talk to you lately but they said you were busy."

He realized that they were the visitors who annoyed him lately. He replied "Ah, and you weren't smart enough to take a no for an answer?"

"We waited for you to go out instead so we can talk to you in private."

"Why do you want to talk to me? Who are you?"

"Jorge... We know you wouldn't let us in if we tell you who we are."

He reviewed the context of what they said. He immediately frowned as he absorbed the clue. He looked at their faces. The resemblance in them was uncanny. He noticed that his nose was perfectly a copy of the woman's and that he had the same eye color as the man's. His face had the same structure as his, high cheekbones and symmetrical. Something inside him told him that he had known them. He just didn't want to admit it to himself at the moment. He knew that if he was whole, he'd be running forwards at this point, throwing himself into their arms but he can't. He didn't know what to feel. It came to him too fast. He was supposed to seize the moment and ask them what he wanted to ask for a very long time. For clarity and peace of mind, but he wanted vengeance. He just didn't know how to act upon it. There was a heat on his back that crawled to the top of his head. His arms felt numb. The blood left his face.

He snapped inside; snapped like brittle glass and felt the shards tearing at his guts. He couldn't speak. His brain can't formulate a thought like if he doesn't touch them soon, his atoms will tear themselves apart. He couldn't properly process in his mind that he was face to face with the people he's been looking for his whole life.

His mood had gone mellow but with a pinch of hatred. He was frozen in his position, as if paralyzed, suspended between grief and joy.

The woman attempted to touch him but Jorge moved away.

He said "Don't you dare touch me."

"Jorge... let's talk about it in private, shall we?"

"How did you know I work here?"

"Someone from the orphanage looked for your work address so we'll know where to go."

"Rebecca?"

"She said her name was Denise. She mentioned you just came from the orphanage last night so we immediately grabbed the opportunity... strike the iron while it's hot."

"How about the last time? Why didn't you take the opportunity?"

"It was complicated."

He snorted. "Yeah for real, like you didn't make my life complicated enough."