Chapter Three: Plant

"I could test it," the words are out in a flash, and her green eyes shift to me in her shock, the emotion lighting her face before her features settle back down.

"You already have so much to do," she says, waving away the offer, though the slump of her shoulders betrays her weary desperation. I step forward, gently gripping her elbow, determination flashing through my very bones.

"I could. I don't actually have much to do, and if it'll help you, I'll be more than happy to!" I tell her fiercely. Her hands are gentle and warm as they tug me into a hug.

"Okay," her voice is soft and warm with appreciation. I smile brightly, and she pulls back, brushing a stray strand of blonde hair behind her ear. "Allow me to fill you in," she adds, sitting on the bed. I set my bags down on a chair before sitting down next to her eagerly. She smiles, her rose-tinted lips holding the joy in such a small space.

She goes on, telling me all about it. Essentially, they've created a game with multiple AI's, and need someone to play through it to test for glitches or problems with certain personalities as the AI's were designed to be as realistic as possible. And right at the end, with apprehension clouding her crystal-clear eyes, she finally reveals something that makes my heart stutter.

"Saeran will be running it," I give her a soft smile, hope blooming through my chest. Her next words rush out, almost as if she couldn't stop them. "But you can't meet him," her eyes are soft and uncertain as they notice my disappointment. "At least not until the game is done," she adds, though her eyes dim slightly at my excited grin,

"Alright! I'll work really hard! Promise!" I tell her, and a small, almost sad, smile blooms across her lips. Her eyes are distant gems, sadness blistering her features. I gulp, uncertain about why she seems so pained. Before I can think too long, she stands.

"Thank you, [Y/N]. I'll get everything ready!" she says, clapping her hands together with a large smile. I nod,

"Of course! I'll get started on your dress!" I add excitedly, and she pulls me into a quick, warm hug before rushing off while I start on the various parts of the dress.

I start by spending hours mapping out the exact ways the entire thing would fit together, waiting for the exact dimensions until after I measure Rika. I yawn, leaning back in the wooden chair. My back aches, but it's the kind of ache that reminds you of hard work. Of achievement. The kind of ache that glows red-gold in triumph.

I lean back, feeling the sore muscles bend and stretch, small blades digging into my skin. I simply rub at the spot, coaxing the sharp pain into the dull ache I'm used to. I stand up, raising my arms above my head as I close my eyes and breathe, relaxing into the simplistic stretch. I breathe out in a rush, dropping my hands to down by my sides.

I lounge over to the dresser, taking out the simple, flowy white nightgown. I change into the soft, fleeting thing, enjoying the cool air on my skin in the stuffy room. I pull my long hair back into a ponytail, gliding over to the door. It's late. The tiny window high in my room tells me that much. My hand rests on the cold copper door handle.

By now... almost everyone will be asleep, and those who aren't, will be working so hard, it would be half a miracle for them to notice me. I say a quick prayer that there will be no miracles tonight before gently pushing the handle down, the quiet soft 'r' sound making my breath catch. I slowly push my hand just a few inches open, the whispering hinges seeming impossibly loud.

My footsteps are light and quick as I slip out of the door, carefully shutting my door, though I flinch at the seemingly loud sounds. With a dull click, my door is closed, and my feet hush over the cold marble floors as I carefully walk down the halls, feeling exhilarated at my sudden rule-breaking.

I carefully walk down the hallways, navigating toward the garden. I come down to the garden as often as I can, though this is my first time going down without Rika. We went on a walk earlier in the week, and I noticed the oddest new plant growing. It had somehow sprouted two stems... I was amazed and curious about it, but since Rika was there I didn't manage to get a good look.

But now... I really want to check on it. One of the branches was strong and healthy, while the other one was weaker and sickly. I want to see how they're faring, and though I know it's not really logical, I hope that both of them survive. Logically, I know that the weaker one will have to be removed for the stronger one to grow, but something within me refuses to stop hoping that both of them survive and grow strong.

I carefully ease the large glass door to the garden open, walking out into the fresh, crisp night air. I relax immediately, inhaling the sweet and spicy scents of the various flowers. I don't bother trying to untangle the minute differences between the smell of roses, peonies, lilies of the valley, and all the other types, instead just enjoying the odd way that the often majorly different smells mixed and overpowered or layered with each other.

I step across the stones neatly laid into the ground, grass poking up between the large, mostly flat stones. I glide over to the little plant, bending down to closely inspect it. My eyes widen slightly in surprise. The healthy stem was snapped off, and used as fertilizer for the weaker one. It must've been very recently, though it still is unsettling...