Chapter Five: The Game

I get Rika measured that night before figuring out the exact dimensions before I fall into bed. I wake up the next morning earlier than usual and get started on cutting out the patterns out of paper before pinning them onto fabric and starting to carefully cut the fabric. Once I get a few pieces out, I start sewing. I get into a calm rhythm, cutting and sewing and going slow and being careful.

When the door finally swings open to reveal Rika, I've gotten decent work done. I glance up at her, finishing the seam I'm on before jumping up with a grin.

"Morning!" I say brightly, and she smiles, her hands gently resting on my shoulders.

"Good morning," her lips are curled into a warm smile. I reach my hands up to grab onto her shoulders and pull her into a quick hug before releasing her,

"Alright, I want to get to helping Mint Eye as soon as possible!" I tell her, my eyes glittering with determination. Her lips curl into a cherry-red smile, and she takes a simply iPhone out of her pocket and hands it to me.

"Alright. Well, the app is downloaded onto there. Now, please keep in mind that all of them are merely AI's. The game's point at the end is to plan a party. An everlasting party..." her eyes goes slightly hazy as she smiles. "A paradise..." she adds, I smile warmly with her. She jumps slightly, shaking herself out of it. "Anyway. It's pretty simple, there are five guys and one girl in the game. I won't tell you much about any of their personalities though as it will be more fun for you to play through it. We're really just looking for glitches or things to improve, and overall we're using it to feel out new Mint Eye members," she adds. I smile, nodding.

"Got it! I'll do well, promise," I tell her, she nods calmly, gently rubbing my shoulders before shooing me toward the bed.

"Now then, you work on that while I go work," she tells me with a warm ruby-toned grin. I press a friendly kiss to her cheek, straightening her mask and brushing away one of her strands.

"Go be the savior we all love," I tell her, "I'm certain you'll do really well today, but try not to put too much on your shoulders!" I add with an attempt at firmness. In response, she gives me a look full of warmth and bright yellow joy before nodding and schooling her expression into obedient savior-expressionlessness. She leaves, closing the door with a soft click.

I sit down on the bed, staring at the small black screen. I run my fingers across the cool, glass-like surface, quietly flinching at the streaks my fingers left. I use the hem of my white nightshirt to carefully rub away the smudges.

I gulp before pressing the button on the side. The screen lights up, a stock photo ocean stares back at me, glowing soothing blue and salty tan sand. I press my thumb into the small circle at the bottom. I gently press in, jumping slightly as the screen opens, revealing a neat folder with all the pre-downloaded apps, and one other; Mystic Messenger.

The logo is simple, with a small black 'm' against bright yellow at one corner and artwork of a guy, probably one of the AI's. I inhale slowly, and then press the button, watching as the app loads.

I nibble my bottom lips curiously as I stare at the screen, contemplating entering the chat. Finally, I huff, standing and starting to get dressed and ready.

I get dressed, brush out my hair, and then once that's done, spend as much time as possible coaxing it into overly complex braids before pulling the braids into a bun.

Then I pretend I need to try on all of my shoes, and walk around in them until I've picked the ones that are comfortable and look great with my current outfit, which I changed ten times. Finally, after all that procrastinating, I stare down at my phone with a sigh.

"Fine, I'll do it," I whisper determinedly, stepping toward the phone, "And finish Rika's outfit," I finish as I get unnerved and spin around to the sewing machine and fabrics and continue on the complex outfit.

"[Y/N]?" Rika sudden questions softly, and my head jerks up as an embarrassed blush rushes to my checks. I gulp, giving her a guilty smile.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, brushing a strand of my hair that had escaped my bun and braids behind my ear. "I got freaked out and started to procrastinate," I tell her, balling my fists up in my lap. She gives a warm smile, and sits on the bed, patting the spot next to her. I come and sit next to her, she leans back and grabs the phone before taking my hand and pressing the phone into my palm.

"It's okay, I completely understand why you're so scared... but I've already told you everything. You've got this. I know that you do. Now come on! Ovary up and get this done, 'cause I know you can do it," she says, a light pink warmth moving through her words as red lips curl up into a smile.

I nod, looking down at the phone. I click it on, pressing on the app. Rika gives me a quick hug before standing. I smile and give her a thumbs up. She gives back a smile full of rosewood warmth before leaving.