Chapter 13

AN: sorry I took so long to update, I've just gone through exams and musicals and some family stuff. BUT the next chapter is here and I hope you enjoy :) I'm on holidays now so regular, day to day updates :)

____________________________________________________

It's Monday, the day of our project. And Grayson isn't here.

I'm only kind of freaking out because it isn't fourth period yet (which is when Modern History is) but it's recess and usually, I would've snuck off to see him in our usual make-out spot, but he wasn't there.

I check my phone for any messages but nothing is there. I start to freak out a little more because then the bell rings and Grayson still isn't here.

I quickly walk to Biology, chewing on my bottom lip. Why isn't he here yet?

Is he sick? That is the most plausible explanation but that doesn't stop me from wondering why he isn't here. Did his bus break down? Or crash? Is he stuck under a huge bus, getting crushed by it's ginormous weight? Did his house burn down? Did he get bitten by a rabid dog? Is he having a family crisis? Did he get abducted by aliens or attacked by mobsters or asked to join a gang or did he get caught selling elicit drugs and now he's in jail or-

Oh my god, what if he moved back to the UK?

That one stops me in my tracks. Move back to the UK? Would Grayson actually do that if he had the chance? I remember the phone background of him with his friends, all laughing - did he get sick of Australia and decide to move? Did he get sick of ME?

And suddenly, it's my fault he's not here. Did dinner with my family go really badly? Am I actually a really bad kisser and he doesn't want to say so he had to leave the COUNTRY in order to escape me? Am I just annoying and clingy? The phrase 'MY NAME'S DARCY WHITMORE AND I'M BETTER THAN YOU' flashes in my mind again - does he still think that? Are we not actually friends? Did I imagine the whole thing?

"Darcy, are you ok?" Avery asks me as we walk to Modern History from Biology. "You're doing that thing where your entire face freezes."

"Darcy Freaking Grayson isn't here and we have our project now and... and now I have to do it all!" I blurt out to a surprised Avery. Not really why I'm worried, but can't tell her that. "And I haven't practised his speech and now I'll crash and burn and fail and I'll be so humiliated and then they'll kick me out of the musical because what kind of leading lady stuffs up a public speaking presentation and-"

"Darcy, stop being so melodramatic," Avery says as we head into the classroom. "Look, you're Darcy Freaking Whitmore, ok? You'll be fine - you'll crush it. As for me..." she trails off, drawing a line across her neck with her finger and sticking her tongue out.

I can't even laugh because I'm just so... so freaking out! And worried! Where the hell is Grayson?

I sit down in my seat and watch the door, hoping beyond hope he shows up. To my surprise, he does.

He slinks in right as the bell rings. I can't help it - relief floods me. He's ok - he's not in the UK or crushed under a bus, dying a slow death.

He slumps down in his chair, not even acknowledge me as he does so. Not even a glance my way.

Um, no.

"Grayson! What the hell! Where have you been?" I hiss quietly at him.

No response. He stares stoically at his desk.

"Grayson?" I whisper, poking him on the shoulder. He swats my hand away, muttering.

I slap him on the shoulder. He looks at me, shocked.