Chapter 3

“Nothing else mattered. It was just us.”

- The Best of Me, coming to theaters October 17

Chapter 3

Josie

A knock echoed from my front door as I jammed to the music being played from Ron's room. Sometimes I enjoyed the thin walls, not so much when he snored, though. I buckled my belt and enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to wear a dress to the football game today. To be honest, I was enjoying the fact that I didn't have to go with my whole sorority either. I usually had a fraternity guy pick me up around this time from my apartment, and we would tailgate around the stadium and go to the game. It had been with the same guy as of late. I was a little bummed he had to go home for the weekend, and it confused me that I was bummed. Since meeting Ramsey, I had enjoyed getting to know him, possibly a little too much. So maybe a break from both guys would be a good thing. I could just clear my head for the day and hang out with my friends.

After throwing on a T-shirt supporting my university, a knock echoed again, and I ran to the front door. I threw it open to the only sorority girl that I cared to see.

"Isn't it nice to wear jeans for once?" Camille said as she walked into my apartment.

"Camille, you didn't have to ditch your date for me," I said as she went directly to my fridge and pulled out a beer. Thanks to my new neighbors, we were always stocked.

"Seriously, you were saving me from him. He's hot and all, but I can't have a conversation with the guy. I have no clue how he's even passing his classes." She popped open the top to a light beer and took a sip. "So, what are our plans? The game is at 7:00, right?"

"Yep," I replied as I grabbed my own beer. "I assume we're tailgating with the guys and Sara. I'm kind of excited. It'll be a lot different going with them rather than a bunch of guys in ties."

She put her beer down and leaned forward on the table. "I thought you liked guys with ties."

My eyes shifted up from my beer to hers. She smirked instantly and said, "I know I haven't known you as long as Sara has known you, but considering that you are my bestie as well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I know you pretty well."

She tucked her blonde hair behind her ear as I eyed her to keep going. She gripped her beer can and asked, "Which one is it?"

I sighed and backed away from the table. She did know me pretty well.

"My money is on Ramsey."

I turned to see Sara walk into the kitchen from the living room.

I gasped and whispered, "Wes isn't here, is he?"

She giggled before starting her inquisition and said, "No. I'm not that evil, but I know you and I'm pretty sure you like Ramsey."

I sighed and confessed. "I'm pretty sure I like Ramsey."

"What about the tie?"

The tie would be Kyle. I did like Kyle, but Kyle represented every guy I ever dated. Ramsey was just different. Ramsey was someone who made me think. But I still liked the tie. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I like them both. I'm comfortable with Kyle, and Ramsey intrigues me. I guess I'm just looking forward to today."

"I so don't want this," Camille said as she poured her beer down the drain, and continued, "I can drive. Y'all wanna just come with me, and we'll meet up with everyone later?

"Yeah, I'll go get Wes, and we can go." Sara grabbed her bag and headed out of the door.

I grabbed my beer and poured the rest out into the sink.

"I do know that Kyle has been trying to ask you out, and you've said no aside from football games." I nodded as Camille continued, "I'm guessing you like Ramsey more then."

"He just talks to me all of the time. I like when he talks to me. I like the way he looks at me when he talks to me."

"I don't think he's said more than five words to me."

"That's just it," I interrupted. "He doesn't talk to anyone. He's quiet with everyone, but he'll come over at random times and just talk. He comes by when I'm cooking dinner, and I used to think he just wanted food, but he's only ever stayed when I've forced him to."

"So, essentially, y'all have dinner together."

I nodded and said, "I like cooking him dinner. I like having him around. I like how he makes me smile."

"Well, what's the problem then?"

"I met him two months ago. Either he's really slow on making a move or he's just interested in being friends. I don't want to lose either, so I'm not making a move."

It was Camille's turn to nod, and she said, "Makes sense." She then dug her keys out of her bag and said, "Let's just go have fun today and try not to worry about the complexities of men."

I grabbed my bag and crossed it over my shoulder as we headed out the door. After locking it, I fumbled with my keys, trying to shove them in my bag, but as soon as I started heading down the stairs, they slipped from my grip and fell underneath the stairs to the first floor.

"Clumsy," Camille said as she headed to her jeep. Wes and Sara were already sitting in the back.

I turned when I got to the last step and went to grab my keys. I looked up just as I stepped underneath the steps and saw Ramsey watching me from his seat on the porch. My heart thumped. There was no denying the pull I had to him.

"Hey, why are you still here and not out tailgating?" I asked after scooping up my keys.

He sighed and looked away. "I'm not going."

"What? Why?"

He shrugged his shoulders without looking at me and said, "I have a test Wednesday."

No no no ... he has to go. I told myself I wouldn't make a move, but he needed a nudge. I took a few steps and stood in front of him. His eyes slowly grazed up my body, causing my breath to quicken, and when his eyes landed on mine, his lips parted slightly as he exhaled. I reached down for his hand and threaded my fingers through his. I squeezed his hand and said, "You're coming."

I went to release my hand but he only squeezed it tighter. I tried to breath, but I didn't really know what was going on with my heart at the moment. I exhaled slowly and said, "I don't feel like drinking, so I need a sober buddy."

He smirked, still holding my hand, and asked, "Is that the only reason why you want me to go?"

My eyes flickered between the warmth of his stare and the sexy smirk that grazed up his cheeks, and I whispered, "No."

He stood up a mere inch away from me, my hand still tightly within his grasp, and he whispered, "Let me get my wallet."

He squeezed my hand and let go, leaving me alone on his porch. I left for Camille's jeep and tried to breathe on the way. As soon as I hopped up, Wes asked, "Did you get him to come?"

I turned around as Ramsey jumped in from the open back, sitting in between Wes and Sara. He reached forward into the front seat, brushing his arm against my shoulder and peeking at me from the corner of his eye, and turned the music up. He leaned back with that sexy smirk that was absolutely my new most favorite thing about him.

Camille sped off as everyone started to get pumped for the game. I pulled my phone out of my bag and took a picture of Camille driving her jeep, and then turned around, snapping a picture of the three in the back seat. I turned back around and looked down at the picture. Wes and Sara were randomly singing while Ramsey had that signature smirk with his eyes locked right on me. I didn't dare turn back around. I had a feeling this wouldn't be the last time I would be looking at this picture. A smile slid up my cheeks. I made my choice. He needed to make his move.