Chapter 4

"You want me to fall back in love with you? How do I do that when I haven’t ever stopped?"

- The Best of Me, coming to theaters October 17

Chapter 4

Ramsey

I was walking next to Josie behind our group of friends through the tailgaters that filled the campus, and something was clicking. I had no clue what I was doing, but we were clicking. The way she grabbed my hand earlier was solid proof that she liked me ... or at least somewhat liked me. I turned my head to look at her, and she immediately turned her head toward me, meeting my stare. My eyes roamed down her face to her lips. I would kiss those lips. I didn't know if it would happen today, but it was going to happen. I would make sure of it. Her tongue slipped out and licked her bottom lip as I watched her. She was going to kill me. The need for her to fill my arms was dire. There was just that one problem.

I had no clue what I was doing.

I exhaled as I forced my eyes away from her lips. I was going to be a doctor and I couldn't make a move on a girl. My shoulders sagged with that thought. If I wanted to be a doctor, I couldn't let Josie stand in the way.

Could I for just the day? Could I just be close to her for one day? When the day was over, I could explain everything. Could I do that to her though? Could I do that to myself?

I glanced at her one more time, and she immediately looked up at me with a shy smile. Tomorrow be damned. I reached down for her hand, and she wasn't unsure about gripping mine back. I looked down at her, hesitation filling my voice, while I asked, "Is this alright?"

She smiled that hypnotic smile of hers and said, "Perfect."

A smile rose up my cheeks as one rose up hers with the blush, and she bowed her head. Tomorrow didn't matter. I was going to enjoy the day. She was mine for at least a day.

We made it to our little tailgating section which had grown by about twenty people. I squeezed Josie's hand and said, "I'm gonna go grab a couple of chairs from Phil's truck. Do you want something to drink?"

She pretended to think real hard about it and said, "Let's go crazy and have a Coke."

I laughed and said, "I like how you think."

"Is that all you like?"

She bit her lip after her question. I bent down to her ear and whispered, "Nope."

Her face reddened again, and I couldn't believe the affect I was having on her. I squeezed her hand again before letting go, and I said, "Don't go far."

She nodded as I stepped away. Out of the corner of my eye, Sara and Camille swooped in and took my place. I felt bad for leaving her with the interrogation, but it was bound to happen with those two.

I walked through the throngs of tailgaters and got to Phil's truck. Just as I opened the back, he walked up and said, "So ... how's it going with Josie?"

I sighed as I pulled out two folding chairs and answered, "It's going too good."

"Why do you not look happy about that?"

I hooked the straps of the chairs on my shoulder and grabbed two Cokes from the cooler while I said, "I just don't know if I can do it."

"Well, if you don't try, I'm going to."

I looked at Phil with his shit-eating grin and popped him in the shoulder as I left to find Josie again.

I pushed my way back through the people and found her standing under a tree and talking to Camille. Josie whispered something, and Camille turned around, leaving Josie alone within an instant. At least I had her for a little while. I smiled when I approached and she reached out for the Cokes while I unfolded the chairs. She sat down, placing her Coke in the cup holder, and I sat next to her. I didn't like our chairs so far apart so I scooted mine closer. I could feel her looking at me. I didn't look back at her but I smiled.