xv. what friends are for

CHAPTER 15
WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR

— CHAPTER 15 —WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR

SATURDAY 12th NOVEMBER,
1983

CATH'S cheeks prickle with the iciness of the November air, grazing her cheeks as she slices through the stillness on her bike. Her brain has wired itself into knowing the exact route to Mike's house now — unless she is imagining it? The adrenaline is buzzing too wildly for her to spare a moment to consider it.

There is no time. She just spoke to Will. She just spoke to Will, and he could be in more imminent danger than ever.

     Going up one particular hill proves a challenge, her legs screaming and burning with lactic acid by the time she reaches the top. Despite the somewhat cool day, beads of sweat form on her forehead.

She is going so fast that Cath almost doesn't realise Mike and Dustin approaching her in the opposite direction. Going about twice the speed as them, she zooms straight past and only catches a snippet of their voices before they vanish out of earshot. Cath slams her brakes and shudders to a halt, gasping for air as she finally takes her first break since she set off from home.

     When the boys meander over in front of her on their bikes, she is still doubled over and panting over her handle bars. The faces she sees when she finally raises her chin are ones of utter surprise.

     "What are you doing here?" Mike asks, almost carefully.

     "Looking for you," she pants. "I was on my way to your house."

     "... Why?"

     Why? For a split second, Cath cannot understand why neither of them are picking up on her urgency. Then it all comes back to her. Yesterday... what she had said to them. But that was yesterday. All of it.

"You guys are still looking for Will, right? I'm coming with you."

"But you said that our plan wouldn't work?" Dustin remarks, his voice laced with hesitant hope.

"Along with a lot of other things..." Mike murmurs.

Cath takes a deep breath. "I know what I said. And I'm not going to say that I didn't mean it either, because I did back then. And I still stand by most of it; that we shouldn't be the ones figuring out where Will's gone. We are just kids. And I don't think anything else in my life from now on could get much crazier than this. But... I think the only thing worse than putting ourselves in danger to find Will, would be the regret if we didn't at least try. He has to still be out there. I want to see this through."