xx. the sacrifice

CHAPTER 20
THE SACRIFICE

( trigger warning: violence, some descriptions of blood/gore )

SATURDAY 12th NOVEMBER,
1983

"FOUND it!" Dustin announces, opening the refrigerator. A cold blast of air wafts into Cath's face, the low hum of the fridge acting as white noise. She, Lucas and Dustin had broken into the school kitchen, their hunger getting the better of them. A bright beam of refrigerator light pours onto the linoleum floor, infinite stacks of chocolate pudding at the holy light's source — God, she's starving...

     Lucas rubs his hand together longingly as Dustin starts bundling tubs of it into his arms. "I knew she was hoarding it," says Dustin, "always lying, saying she's out. Bald-faced liar... MIKE!" he shrieks. "I FOUND THE CHOCOLATE PUDDING!"

     "Don't you think they'll notice all the pudding is gone?" Cath remarks, although her mouth is already watering at the notion of food. She hasn't eaten since breakfast this morning.

     "Nah," Lucas shrugs. "What's the worse that could happen? We'll just have different desserts at lunch instead."

     Dustin pops open the lid on one of the tubs. Instantaneously, the rich, sweet aroma of chocolate hits Cath, and she feels her tongue pool with saliva. "Mmm," Dustin chortles excitedly, grabbing a large tablespoon spoon for each of them. He plunges his own into the mixture, watches it trickle from the spoon before he shovels it into his mouth. Shutting his eyes, as if relishing the flavour, he enthusiastically slaps his hand on the table. "Oh, man!" he exclaims. "I forgot how hungry I was. Here, you guys have some."

     Taking a metal spoon each from him, Cath and Lucas take their own portions of chocolate pudding. Never had chocolate pudding tasted so good — after hours of not eating and hardly anything to drink, she's desperate for anything at this point.

     "I'm gonna take one for Mike and El," she says, taking another tub under her arm.

     Cath meanders down the hallway, which is unlike she has ever seen it before — unlit in the night and completely empty of students. She can hear every step against the linoleum floor, every breath she breathes. Without the hustle of a scheduled school day, she takes time to observe posters on the walls as she goes past. Even through the darkness, the bold primary colours of the cork board displays cut through, giving her comfort after the turbulent day... no, week she's had.

     Mike and Eleven disappeared to another classroom a while back, for some time alone together. As she approaches the classroom they chose — clear by the light pouring through the latticed window in its door — she tries to slow down, hoping that it will warn them in case she is interrupting something private.