xxii. in the wake

CHAPTER 22
IN THE WAKE

WEDNESDAY 16th NOVEMBER,1983

1983

WEDNESDAY sweeps through Hawkins with full force, strong gales and gusts sweeping away the rubble of their ordeal. The weather forecast lands the conditions inconveniently on the first day back at school — Monday and Tuesday had been closed down, as the school worked on clearing the bodies and the other carnage the demogorgon left in its wake... of course, no one else knows that. Either way, none of the kids seemed to complain, being given two free days off school.

     In truth, Daphne has been dreading going back. Her talk with Dr. Owens still looms over her, her signature on the page burned into her memory.

What has she done? What has she done?

     The past couple of days have actually been... nice. Daphne mostly spent them inside with Cath, reconnecting. Lots of movies were watched — deliberately lighthearted ones that they had on VHS, from 'The Aristocats' to 'Bugsy Malone', to avoid any possible recollection of the past week. A couple of board games in there somewhere. Anything to feel normal again.

Maybe it is because of their shared experiences this last week, but she suddenly feels much more able to relate to Cath than usual. She is no longer just her baby sister, but her new confidante by circumstance. The five-year age gap used to throw Daphne in the past. However, Cath seems maturer now — although she catches herself when she remembers why that probably is.

Daphne did manage to squeeze in a visit to her mother's grave, a couple of days late again. She thought of her last visit, back when she was blissfully ignorant of everything going on in Hawkins. That was so long ago. Standing under lead-tinted clouds, hands in her pockets as she stared at the headstone, she had the distinct feeling that life was never going to be the same again...

Wednesday morning arrives. She enters her first taste of her new reality embittered after a restless night. As Daphne pulls her sweater over her head, she hears an exasperated little knock on her door. Cath is hovering outside her room, bouncing on her heels— half-dressed, her skirt and sweater on and hair still not brushed, but with no socks on.

     "Hey, have you seen my stockings?" she asks breathlessly.

     Daphne freezes. "Which ones?"

     "My favourites ones. The white ones, they have tiny little hearts on them?"

     Oh, shit.

     "Uh... nope. Have you looked in your room?"

     "I've turned it upside down, and still nothing." Cath furrows her eyebrows at her sister as she suddenly snorts with laughter. "What is it?"