Chapter 6

Bella's POV

My mind was blank. Woefully blank. I felt myself falling into a deep chasm. Into a black pit of darkness.

"Momma?" Renesmee's ringing voice broke me from my reverie. She had put her hand on my cheek. I must have been really absorbed in my thoughts just now to have ignored her mental images. With a sigh, I let go of my shield and allowed her to penetrate my thoughts.

She showed me the images of Edward talking to me just now, her worry making them tinge with blurry spots. From Renesmee's mind came a question: What will happen to me?

"I don't know, hun," I whispered softly. That was true - I didn't know, and I didn't want to know. How would her future be like? Overflowing with uncertainty, definitely, but how else? Will her growth rate ever slow down?

Only time could tell.

Edward stared at me intently, gauging my reaction. I could tell that he was trying very hard to conceal his emotions so that I couldn't break thorough his perfect facade. I didn't blame him because I was doing pretty much the same.

I heard the thrumming of Renesmee's heart slow down fractionally, and I looked down. She was asleep, exhausted after the exertion of penetrating my brain, no doubt. I stroked her porcelain face, too mentally tired to speak. How long did I have with this little angle here?

During this time, I was completely unaware of the others' eyes on me. I raised my head. Everyone was looking at me with concern except Rosalie, who seemed indifferent. At least she ought to be concerned about Renesmee...

Esme said, in her soft voice, "Edward, Bella, you know we will help you in any way we can. For Renesmee too, of course." Oh, of course she had overheard our conversation. I had totally forgotten about vampire hearing. "If you need anything, just say it, and we will do it for you." Her sincerity was unmistakable - but then I heard Rose muttering something like "useful" under her breath. Her level of sarcasm, as always, was regrettably poor.

Edward managed a rigid smile and said, "Thanks everyone. We know that you will support us no matter what." He stopped, controlling his expression, then continued, "I think we have to go back to our cottage now. Come, Bella." He took my hand, and without a word, pulled me and Renesmee out of the window, out to the unknown.