Prologue: Beautiful World, Cruel Reality

There you sit, collapsed on your knees and bathing in the aquamarine light.

The full moon above gazes upon you unblinkingly from its indigo bed among a sea of shimmering stars.

The few clouds in the sky were large and full, lazily drifting across the horizon like crested waves beyond the shoreline.

The mild weather made this the perfect night for such a rare event; A blue moon.

The sight that painted the canvas above was absolutely breathtaking.

If only your mother would open her eyes so she could see it...

She was so excited about it—giggling like a child as she counted down the nights until she would be able to bring out her telescope and gaze at the deep azure sky.

Recalling this only brought up one question; Why did this have to happen tonight of all nights?

A cool wind brushed past your blood-soaked form, your clothes and hair barely moving as the long since dried crimson caused them to stick to your ashen skin.

The grip you had on your mother's soft hands tightened as you tried in vain to prevent them from getting any colder.

Encouraged by the gentle breeze, a song from distant wind chimes attempts to soothe you.

The wind could bring such wonderful music to you... but why must it also push closer that horrid stench of smoke and copper?

As the wailing of sirens reached your ears, growing louder as the seconds passed, a single shaky sentence left your trembling lips.

"The world is so beautiful... but why does it have to be so cruel?"