a stranger's gift | tom hiddleston

· a/n: inspired by my obsession with simplistic aus/scenarios. Also, for the sake of this fic, we're pretending Tom lives in New York for a time. He was actually living there for a time because of Betrayal (his play on Broadway). And you guys, cakes are EXPENSIVE in New York! I got the prices and cake flavoring by referencing an actual bakery that's in New York. It's a hefty price - but for a good reason. Their cakes are stunning and I'm sure they're as delicious as they look.

· summary: sometimes the simple kindness of a stranger can change the course of one's life. in your case, it meant getting a free cake in the midst of a lonely birthday celebration - and perhaps a little spark of romance to ignite the candles.

· warnings: none

· word count: 6.3k

· music: Sisters by Christophe Beck

Tom's slender fingers plucked a tin of English Breakfast blend off of a shelf decorated with dozens of teas in dozens of differently colored containers. His eyes swiftly read the names of each one as he silently mulled over his next pick. After plucking a few more tins from the shelves, he turned and left the small aisle of the bakery, excusing himself politely between other customers. With a glance upwards at the signs that dangled above each designated aisle, he spotted one with a bright red arrow that directed him towards the front cashier.

When he reached the front of the store with his arms full of his carefully selected tea, he quickly took his place in line. Luckily, he was only third in line, so he would quickly be on his way back to his apartment full of books - and be able to continue his date with Shakespeare. He hardly noticed the woman in front of him, apart for the vague passing of his line of vision as he surveyed the menu of desserts and the working hands of bakers through the kitchen window behind the counter. From his place in line, he dropped his gaze to quietly admire the delicacies that were meticulously decorated in the display case by the counter.

He could feel his mouth water as he read the labels of individual slices of natural strawberry cakes topped with browned butter frosting and flecks of gold leafing, chocolate cupcakes filled with crème and doused with cream cheese icing, sugar cookies with the bright layers of royal icing and decorated with the steady hand of a professional artist. It was marvelous.

His vision blurred out of focus as the woman in front of him leaned in front of the display case, obviously tempted to taste the very desserts he had been admiring. He smiled at her, although it was only directed to the back of her head. He agreed silently with himself that coming to a bakery was one of the best experiences to have in New York - it was filled with people with a deep sense of passion for sweets, teas, coffees, and a plethora of fruit-based breakfast meals, typically sprinkled with crystalized sugar. In the late morning, it was the most enjoyable.

People were coming from their morning shifts, late shifts, from the comfort of their sheets, or for their break hour from their jobs - in Tom's case, it was his only day off from filming that week, which called for a day filled with tea, books, and possibly a box of sweets.

He took a slow step forward as the man two spots ahead of him took his pastry box and headed for the glass doors of the entrance. With the jingling of the golden bells above the door, the man was gone, and the woman in front of Tom began her request for her order. Tom couldn't help but eavesdrop as he waited.

"Um, hi, I need to order a birthday cake." You began with shy tint to your voice. Without a second's pause, the cashier pulled a piece of paper out from under the counter and pressed a pen to the paper as he jotted down the date.