burgers and enchiladas | jake gyllenhaal

· a/n: another one i wrote for my best friend. sorry the gif is so small, i got it off of the giphy searchy thingy on my text messages. i never post short one-shots, so here's my dabble in one without feeling the need to fill it with 3k worth of wordiness and fillers.

· yo dudes, wazzup. i'm playing your bff again in this one, so there's that. have fun. don't repost my shiz, you crapwad copiers. 

· summary: after spending hours in the hospital waiting room while your best friend is in labor, your husband jake offers to get some food.

· warnings: jake being cute

· word count: 884 (a shortie like me)

You had been seated in the same sturdy flat-cushioned chair in the hospital waiting room for nearly eight hours now. Your husband, Jake Gyllenhaal, sat next to you with his feet propped up against another chair he had dragged out of place. He sat scrolling through an online take-out menu on his phone – an endeavor his gurgling stomach had encouraged a half-hour prior.

He had noticed as well that you were growing tired and hungry – the haphazard stacks of miscellaneous magazines and out-of-reach power outlets had dwindled your ability to entertain yourself for much longer. And even if you had been able to charge your phone or find the remote to the mounted TV, you wouldn't have been able to concentrate.

Your best friend was in labor and had been since the late afternoon. You and Jake had managed to arrive before her dilation process had gotten down to the wire. You expected it to go on for a few hours more at the very least. It was now late into the night and close to early morning hours, and most stores and restaurants were closed, including the hospital's cafeteria.

"Hey, this spicy Thai food place is open until two," Jake glanced at you as he held his phone close enough for you to see, "Does that sound good to you?"

You squinted at the menu, which looked seriously delicious, but not on the delicate internal balance of an anxious stomach. You pushed the phone back with a disgruntled shake of your head. Jake snickered.

"It looks good, but not right now. I think that'll just make me sick,"

After another five minutes, he found a place nearby that advertised a Mexican style cuisine selection. He showed it to you, and despite the array of spices used in authentic Mexican dishes, it sounded delicious. You nodded and mumbled something resembling an agreement. The queso-doused enchiladas pictured on the digital menu looked especially delicious.

Jake glanced up from his phone as you rested your head on your fist, your elbow propped on the crooked arm of the stiff chair you sat in.

"Still worried?"

"Of course."

"Babe, she's gonna be fine."

"I know," you glanced at your hands over the makeshift blanket you were using yours and Jake's jackets for, "I just know she's in a lot of pain. And there's so much that can go wrong."

"Come on, (Y/n)! It's Lillian we're talking about here. She's pretty tough. Plus, she's got that big blue-eyed, boob-grabbing freak up there with her. If we're worried about one of them, it should be him. He's liable to end up unconscious."

Jake's description of Chris Evans pushed a tired laugh out from under your breath. It was obvious that he was doing his best to keep positive for both your sakes. He remembered the complications that ran in Lillian's family, but most importantly, he knew how to soothe you.

You rubbed your hands over your face, attempting to massage the groggy exhaustion from your pores. Your laugh slowly faded into a weary groan. Jake slid his phone in his back pocket and sat upright on the edge of his seat.

"Wanna go with me to get the food? It'll probably feel good to stretch your legs for a little bit."

"Why don't I stay here and you go get some food for us, okay?" Your voice was quiet and Jake could see that you were drained from the hours of waiting and worrying. He studied your face for a second and decided not to convince you otherwise. He could see that you were uncomfortable with the idea of leaving Lillian here alone - especially since her family couldn't be here until they managed to catch a flight.

Jake stood and stretched his limbs, arching his back and reaching far above his head, releasing a strained yawn. You bent forward and began ruffling through your purse for your wallet. "Here, take my purse. I've got some cash."

He was quick to protest with a kiss to your lips. When he pulled away, he bore a wide grin that made his sleepy eyes sparkle.

"I've got it covered, (Y/n)."

"Thank you."

He traced his finger under your chin for a second longer before he turned towards the elevator.

"Hey!" - Jake turned back and cocked an eyebrow, fumbling with his keys - "Bring back some burgers, too?"

His brows drew together and accompanied a lopsided smile. He wagged an approving finger in your direction. "Good idea, babe!"

"I know - you married a genius. Now get the food before I throw this stack of magazines at you."

"I'm on it," his smile grew, "I'll be back in a little bit. Call me if you hear anything!"

"I will. Love you. And bring my blanket in from the car when you get back? Please?"

"Roger that. Love you too!"

Your eyelids lulled shut as the elevator doors pinged and slid shut. 

Soon, oh-so-very soon, you would have a meal that your hormones declared they must devour. Little did you know that as a miracle was taking place two floors up in your best friend's delivery room, another had already begun growing inside of you. Burgers and enchiladas would become a staple craving for the first baby Gyllenhaal.