chapter five

chapter five
spoiled fun

On the way back to the house, it couldn't have been more awkward. That's wasn't true, I knew. It was mainly just me that was feeling a little... out of place, like I was intruding on some happy couple's alone time.

I never usually felt like this. I mean, Julian had practically got it on in the back seat before— which Camila quickly put a stop to by slamming her foot on the brakes— and it hadn't bothered me all that much. I put it down to tiredness and the fact that all I could see from the backseat was Julian with his hand on Montana's thigh.

And I was left with no distraction from it. Camila had her head on my lap, letting me leisurely stroke her hair as we drove. Her long body took up most of the backseat, but I didn't mind it.

I tried to ignore them talking in the front seat, whispering and giggling to each other. I wasn't annoyed that he'd been like he was to me and then gone straight back to her, not really, because this was Julian Westbrook. This is what he did on the daily. It was just annoying being trapped in a car with anyone that was prepping to have sex.

We pulled up to the house, illuminating the car in an orangey glow. Julian was quick to switch off the engine, leaning over to the brunette beside him. Whatever he said must have been mighty funny because she suddenly let out a giggle.

"I'll meet you upstairs, yeah?" He said to her, mainly in darkness so I could only see the outline of his sculpted cheekbones and perfect nose. It really wasn't fair that he had such a good side profile and portrait profile. How's that fucking fair?

He handed her the front door keys.

Montana nodded hurriedly, before pushing the door open and disappearing off toward the house. I didn't watch as she went inside, too oddly comfortable in the darkness... even if a girl was currently sprawled across my lap.

"You need any help with her?" Julian asked from the front seat.

I opened my eyes, momentarily forgetting he was there. He kept facing forward, looking at me through the mirror above his head.

"Nah," I said, already feeling my legs buzzing slightly, on the edge of getting pins and needles. I shook my foot slightly as if that would help. "She'll wake up soon."

"Have you met her?" He asked with a small chuckle.

I looked down at her, a small snore escaping her ajar lips as I did as if proving my point. She was out, and probably would be for a while.

"You might have a point," I conceded.

"I'm always right," he said with a shrug. I rolled my eyes. "Do you want my help or not?"

Swallowing my pride, I said quietly, "Yes."

"Then don't be rude to your knight in shining armour."

"More like Shrek in a dustbin," I muttered. Don't do Shrek like that, my internal monologue countered.

"Shrek?" He asked. "Really?"

"Did I say that?" I asked, sarcastically, biting back a smile.

"Yes," he said, dark eyes meeting mine through the mirror again. "I guess you don't need my help."