chapter six

chapter six
rude awakening

I was so gladly woken by an arm being flung in my face. I jumped at the impact, all but catching myself by my fingernails before I could fall, full force, off the bed.

Camila has no care in the world as she continued to blissfully sleep whilst I had to clamber out of bed, knowing I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. I pulled the skimpy nightdress I'd had to borrow from her, not that it was so unusual. Only, usually, I wouldn't be trying to look for something in the dark so she wouldn't wake up and would choose something a little more... comfortable; like that Mickey Mouse onesie she claimed she didn't have but I knew I'd find at the bottom of her drawers.

I crept my way downstairs, not really knowing whether the two dogs upstairs would be up yet or at least, awake. A glance at the clock told me they probably wouldn't be out of bed for several hours yet.

"Morning," a voice said, less than enthusiastic as I neared the bottom of the staircase.

I had to grip onto the bannister so I didn't stumble on the last few steps.

"What are you doing up?" I asked the boy by the sink.

"It is seven," he said as if it was law that we had to be up by that time.

"Oh right," I said, walking over to the kitchen. "I should have remembered Mr Westbrook does not let his conquests wake up next to him. How did I forget?"

"You act like it's not what every guy does."

I made my way round him to the cupboard. "Why, though?"

"Waking up next to someone is quite intimate, don't you think?"

I scoffed to myself as I reached for the cereal on the bottom shelf. "More intimate than having sex with someone?"

I jolted as his fingertips brushed my rear as he passed, my arm catching myself from headbutting the cupboard. I threw him a scowl but he looked as if he hadn't even realise what had happened.

"Sex is natural," he said, pulling open the cutlery drawer. I knew I'd spent too much time in that house because I knew that would be his answer. "It's instinctual. You can't help it. Cuddling after sex and waking up together is not."

"Whatever you say." I pulled the cereal box out onto the surface, closing the door after it. "Besides, I don't think sex is all that instinctual. You just-" I opened the cupboard door above me now, scanning for my favourite bowl. "-control yourself and your... urges."

I felt more than heard him come closer. Already, my heart began to pick up its pace. I felt my whole body be on high alert as the atmosphere around us thickened with something I wasn't very familiar with. Especially not with Julian.

His front pressed against my back, the curve of our bodies fitting together a little too well. I could hardly breathe, let alone function as I let my arms slowly drop. He caught my wrists with one hand and held them as they were.

His lips were so close to my skin I could swear he felt the thrumming of blood beneath its surface.

"Sex is instinctual," he reiterated, drawing his free hand up my right side. Despite myself, I felt something within me kick to life and my body shaking on its own accord. I hated it. And hated the feel of his smirk even more. "The urges you feel can be so strong that you can't think of anything else other than bedding the person."