Chapter 5

Picture of the GrandMaster K'ran over to the right. Check out my website for more pics and bios!!!

Also, please sign up for my newsletter, it's really fast. Theres a link on my account page.

Chapter 5

The smell of musk filled his nostrils. Falcon opened his eyes. Dozens of blurred silhouettes surrounded him. A blink later the green blur became a thin curtain that hung on the wall, and a bright blob above him revealed itself to be nothing more than a paper lantern. It dangled back and forth, threatening to fall on him at any moment.

Where am I?

He ran his hands over the object under him. They touched something soft, like feathers. A bed?

Hushed whispers from men in the adjacent room interrupted his thoughts. One of the voices sounded hoarse and rough—it reminded Falcon of a wild lion’s growl. The other was relaxed and soothing, like his brother’s voice. He strained to hear what they said, but couldn’t make out their muffled words. A husky man came into the room with a bowl in hand. Water and herbs spilled from the bowl, the man did not seem to care.

“Who are you? Where am I…?” Even the simple act of speaking proved daunting. His head pounded from the inside. The pain forced his eyes shut once more and his mind wandered back to a deep sleep….

~ ~ ~

Falcon’s eyes opened. The same gloom-infested room welcomed him back. Some of his sight on his right eye had returned, but his left eye’s vision remained a blur. That’s when he saw him, his brother staring back at him. His right hand rested on his cheek. It was the way he always looked when he was worried.

He could hardly believe it. It was really him. Albert was alive!

A blink later his brother disappeared. He frantically looked around, but saw nothing.

“How do you feel?” asked the muscular man, walking into the room. The man had a large scar that ran through his left eyelid from the top of his head to the bottom. The eye was whiter than winter snow. He wore a simple brown gi, and a black cloth belt was wrapped around his waist. His arms, legs, and neck were large and muscular, lined with thick veins.

Falcon craned his neck around the room. “W-w-where’s the other person who was here?”

The man lifted an eyebrow. “Other person? There is no one here but you and me.”

“I was certain there was someone here.” The man looked at him with a face of pity that made Falcon realize how crazy he must have sounded. “Sorry. I guess I’m imagining things.” 

“This will help,” said the man. “Here, drink up.” He handed him a small wooden cup.

Falcon smelled the drink and his nose wrinkled. “What in the world is that? It smells like some unholy combination of rotten fish and putrid gasses.”

“Hardly.” Falcon realized the man’s voice was the same deep growl he’d heard earlier.  

He took the mug in his hand and dared a peek inside. An unnatural, thick green substance bubbled to the top. Ever so carefully, he brought the cup to his mouth and took a sip. He gagged and his eyes watered as he forced the remedy down his throat. It took every ounce of his strength to not spit it out. It tasted even worse than it smelled.

“I’m sorry you had to drink that. Krastic tea isn’t the best tasting, but there is no better healing remedy anywhere in Va’siel. It is also quite potent. It will put you straight to sleep before you can even….”

~ ~ ~

“So you are finally up,” said the man. “You have been in bed for the last three days, but it appears you are doing much better now.”

Falcon did feel better. His weakness had all but disappeared. His eyesight, too, had returned to normal. He now got a better look at the man who had rescued him. He was large, about seven feet tall. A long white braid of hair ran down to his lower back. A single prayer bead adorned the bottom of his braid.

“Thanks for everything,” said Falcon. He sat up slowly. He still wasn’t sure how much he’d recovered. “I would have died without you.”

“Don’t mention it. I am always willing to help someone in need.”

“You wouldn’t have bothered if you knew who I was. Helping me is going to make you beyond unpopular with the people around here.”

The man chuckled. “Young man, I know exactly who you are. You are the brother of Albert Hyatt.”

Falcon lip’s parted. “Why did you save me, then? Don’t you know what happened?”

The man ran his hand through his mustache. “What people say about Albert is not true. And even if it were, it wouldn’t matter. Each person is responsible for their own destiny. You should not carry your brother’s burden, nor anyone else’s.

Falcon decided he liked this man. Though he couldn’t help but wonder why he was so sure of Albert’s innocence.

“How do you know my brother is not guilty? It’s not like you knew him.”

“Sure I did. I have trained countless warriors throughout my life, but never did I train one who compared to your brother.”

Falcon’s mouth hung open. “What? That can’t be. Albert trained at the academy.”

“It is true that he trained at the royal academy, but who do you think trained him to be good enough to be accepted in the first place?”

Falcon remained speechless. How had I not known this?

The man continued, “To be fair, Albert was already gifted when he came to me. He was a prodigy, but even a blind man could see he had received good training from an early age.”

“My father—” Falcon caught his breath, the sudden turn of events was too much to take in at once. “My father trained him since he was two years old.” He went back to the question roiling in his head. “But, I don’t get it. He never mentioned you. Not once.”

“Albert was an honorable warrior, one who was bound by the code of chivalry. I asked him not to mention to anyone that he was receiving training with me. If word got out, it could have ruined his hopes of being accepted into the royal academy. He was simply keeping a promise to an old man.”

“Why would training with you ruin his chances at the academy?” Falcon asked, frustrated by his inability to arrive at a clear answer.

“Because like you, young Mister Hyatt, I am not much liked by the people of Ladria. Why do you think I live deep in the forest away from their prying eyes?”

Falcon shot him a puzzled look. “Who are you?”

The man got up and extended his hand. “I’m sorry. Where are my manners? I have yet to introduce myself. I am K’ran Ryker, former Grand General of the United Armies of Ladria.

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to leave your comments.