Chapter 26

Hello, In this chapter we met a commander of the Suteckh army. He is a poison wielder who wears his emblem on his chest. I uploaded a picture of him. What do you think of him?

CHAPTER 26

Falcon's and Sheridan's swords met. The sound of clashing steel echoed through the training hall.

"I will have revenge for my defeat in the exams, Hyatt," joked Sheridan, bringing his sword down. Falcon parried the attacks and went on the offensive. Sheridan attempted to counter, but with a single swipe Falcon knocked the sword from Sheridan's hand.

"Calm down. Can't you see I just got up and I'm still half asleep? Besides, it took me an hour to get my hair to come out like this." Sheridan pointed at his over-spiked hair, as if it was hard to miss.

"So why did you wake me up if you weren't ready?"

Sheridan shrugged. "Since you haven't had any training lately, now that your usual partner is gone, I thought I could take his place for a while. Where is Keen anyway?"

Falcon had begun to worry about Lao, too. "I don't know where he is, but if he doesn't show up soon, we're going to have to go looking for him."

"So, what's the story with Hiromy?" asked Sheridan.

"What do you mean by that?" said Falcon, surprised by the sudden twist in the conversation. "And since when do you refer to people by their first name?"

"Hiromy is such a beautiful name I can't help but say it."

"Okay...I guess."

"C'mon, Hyatt. I've seen you speaking with her more than once. Tell me, what's she like? What's her favorite color? What doesn't she like?"

Now Falcon understood why he was here. Sheridan didn't want to train. It had all been a ploy so he could gain information on Hiromy.

"You're asking the wrong person. I know as much as you do. She's the daughter of the emperor and she is a water wielder. That's all I know." Falcon wasn't lying. He and Hiromy had only spoken a few times. 

"C'mon," insisted Sheridan, patting Falcon's back. "You wouldn't hold out on your best pal, would you? I know she has a thing for you, but it won't take her long to see that she has no chance with you. Especially since you and Nakatomi have a thing going on."

"Aya and I don't have anything going on," he said, more defensively than he meant. "We're friends, that's all."

"Sure you are," scoffed Sheridan. "C'mon, I seen the way you to act around each other. All nervous and chummy."

"Oh! Look, it's the heroes of Asturia," jeered Benoit. He marched into the training hall like he owned it. "The new son of Asturia and the Rohad clown, what a pair."

For once Falcon was glad to see the commander. At least he didn't have to continue this uncomfortable conversation with Sheridan.

"You can't just show up and take my position," said the large man, grinning. "You might have been born in Asturia, but you are not one of us. I am commander and the people will follow me, not you."

Falcon rubbed his forehead. "I have no desire to take your position. Keep it, it's yours."

"Don't play coy with me; ever since you got here you have been plotting to take my spot."

"I've simply been doing the job I was hired to do. If you don't like that, too bad." Falcon made a move to leave.

The commander stepped into his path. Falcon looked up, meeting the man's hateful eyes.