26 : Gesture

Kimberly

My brother closes the gate right after Benjamin rides off. Then he grabs the container I'm holding.

"Perfect timing," he says, "I'm hungry."

I follow him inside the house and to the kitchen, where he's putting two plates and sets of utensils on the table.

"So, who's the big bad wolf?" he asks.

"I told you, he's my classmate," I say while I grab a pitcher of water from the refrigerator. "We're doing a project for Economics," I add as I place it down on the table. "The teacher assigned the pairs by residence, so it's a default." I know I don't have to explain or elaborate, and yet I do.

My brother sits on a chair and starts placing servings of the food on his plate. I sit on the one across from him and do the same.

After tasting the pasta, he says that it's good, and I nod in agreement.

"He's just your classmate?" he asks. "He's not your boyfriend or anything?"

"No! Of course not."

"Kimmy, look at me."

So I do, and he studies my face.

"Good," he says. "You're too young for that." Then he digs his fork back to the plate.

And I wonder when I'll be considered old enough for anything around here.

***

It's Friday, and the first week back for the New Year. We're dismissed at an earlier time today for an emergency assembly of teachers, so it became a half-day in school.

Lawrence and I are inside the KFC at the mall, to have our lunch and kill some time. I wait for him on a table in the far corner while he takes our orders.

He and I are spending much of our time left together before graduation and him leaving the country, which I'm no longer that sad about, but I'm sure I'll miss times like this one.

I rest my back on the chair, cross my arms, and survey the establishment and the few customers. Then my eyes land on one booth on the opposite side.

The A4 is also here. Daryl and Steve are on the side where they can see me from this angle. Joseph and Benjamin are on the blindside.

Lawrence arrives with a tray of burgers, fries, and drinks.

"Can I ask you something weird?" I ask after I take my first bite of the burger.

"Most of your questions are weird, but go on."

I lean a bit closer and look at my best friend in the eyes. "How would a girl know if a guy likes her?" I ask. "I mean, really like?" I add.

He inches back a little. "Why are you asking me?" And he sounds a bit defensive.

"Well, you're technically a guy," I say with an up-and-down motion of my hand.

He raises an eyebrow at me. "What do you mean by that?" He copies the movement of my hand as well.

I raise an eyebrow back. "Come on, I know."

"Know what?"

"You know."

His eyes go wide. Then he leans closer and puts a finger on his lips to shush me.

I rest back on the chair. "That's why I didn't say anything," I say with a grin.

"Wait. How did you know?"