21. paghikayat

Every parent's wish is for their children to be happy and healthy. News about the family's migration to the US brought hope to provide a better future for Tisoy. His parents felt that being able to go to school and live abroad would give him better chances at a better life. The blessing and happiness doubled when Mama Chari became pregnant with Riza.

However, because Chuckie was already about to turn 12 years old when Riza was conceived, there was a higher risk to bother Mama Chari's and Riza's health. Luckily, Riza was born without much complication. The family lived a happy life in the US until Riza began showing symptoms of her illness.

Mama Chari, Papa Chad, Chuckie, and their relatives and friends stormed the heavens for Riza's recovery. Riza had to go through many cycles of chemotherapy and her remissions from her condition were very short. Suddenly, another tragedy struck the family when Chuckie's and Riza's parents figured in an accident and died.

Chuck brought Riza home to the Philippines where he was practicing medicine and continued her treatment here. Doc Alex,his good friend and Riza's oncologist told him that his sister needed a bone marrow transplant in order to possibly extend her life. Chuck had himself tested right away but unfortunately, their HLA didn't match. "Lord, Ma, Pa...please...help!" became Chuck's regular prayer.

---

From where they sat watching, Chari leaned against Chad. They were both silently praying for a miracle for Riza. They didn't notice anyone approach them until they felt a warm embrace envelope them. When they turned to look at the 'hugger', his gentle smile and slight nod made them feel secure.

"...everything will be all right..." the hugger said.

"Sino po kayo?" Mama Chari asked.

"Ako si Papang Ernie..." he smiled. "Pinapatawag na tayo..." Papang Ernie invited them. "...wag kayo mag-alala...magiging okay na si Riza...okay si Chichi nyo..."

"...makakasama na po namin sya?" Papa Chad asked.

"...hindi pa...matagal pa...aalagaan pa nya yung mga magiging pamangkin at mga anak nya..." Papang Ernie's eyes twinkled. "...tulad ng pag-aalaga sa kanya ng apo kong si Menggay..."

With Papang Ernie between them, the three held hands and walked toward a bright light. They soon found themselves in a very lush and beautiful garden full of happy people. The vibe was very light and welcoming and they felt very much at home.

---

"Pang, may bago po akong friend..." 9 year old Menggay told her wheelchair bound grandfather who sat in his favorite chair in his bedroom. The octogenarian was physically paralyzed due to a stroke. He always looked forward to Menggay's visits at the end of the day. She regaled him with stories of her day. His daughter, Menggay's mother, rarely visited him.

"...aalis na po sya Pang...aalis na si Tisoy..." Menggay tearfully recounted to Papang when Tisoy mentioned about the family's plan to migrate. "...wala na po akong kaibigan at kalaro ulit..." Menggay said as she hugged her grandfather who was lying on his bed. Menggay was at Papang's bedside when he went peacefully in his sleep, the day after Riza was born. When Riza was about six months, the family finally left the Philippines. Menggay was distraught and devastated by this separation. She often burst into tears when she remembered happier times when Tisoy was around.