Chapter 6 - A prince's escape

Mythor sighed, leaning back in his chair. It was the first day he had in a long time from training on his griffon, Koori. She was irritated with him at practice today, so it didn't help Mythor in any way. His instructor called it a day when he realized Mythor wouldn't be able to continue. Koori's cold, icy blue gaze rested on her rider, waiting for him to get her saddle off of her. Mythor begrudgingly did so, with Koori's messing around with him.

He looked out the window and saw the beauty of his kingdom that he had yet to inherit. King Raginal, his father, was preparing him more than usual to take over the kingdom. Mythor thought it was because he was thinking about stepping down soon, but that would just give stress to the new heir with no one to fall on for guidance. His mother had passed away at a young age, so his father had to rule the kingdom without someone to back him up. The people however, seemed to love him for what he had done to protect them.

Every 5 years, he would pay off the Organizations with the people's tax money to keep them at bay. Mythor's father was a good man, but it would only last so long. The people's money was slowly growing scare, and the harvest each year was narrowing. It got to the point they started traded goods with Earth to keep their people alive. Earth had gotten new weapons that would update them to the current technology in the galaxy, while Morisrus gets food, water and clothing to let their people live.

Why don't the Organizations update their technology? They still fight with Bows and Swords while there are other methods. Mythor thought to himself and came to a stop when a servant knocked on his door. "Prince, the King wishes to speak to you." Mythor groaned getting out from his chair. The chair creaked and a part of it looked like it came loose during the time he was present. Mythor made a note to himself to get a servant to fix it for him later when he came back from his father's talk.

Mythor followed scarcely behind the royal family's personal servant, Tok. "Tok, would you do me a favor? Could you fix my chair for me as it seems unstable." Tok looked bamboozled. "Why of course my Prince! Why would I ever say no?" Mythor's heart fell to the abyss. His servant wouldn't ever have a free will of speech or be able to talk to him normally because he was a prince. Mythor just wanted to be normal. He would even stoop to be as low in the rankings as a peasant working the fields for a day to be normal.

If his father knew wanted he truly wanted, well he would never be able to fly Koori again. She needs constant attention when Mythor is around, so if he isn't she'll go into a fit until she gets her way. If Mythor wasn't around to protect her, she would have already been bred with another Griffon. Even though the rider of that Griffon meant well, he couldn't bear the thought of Koori not being able to spread her wings for months on end because she would be risking the life of her child. Plus, with Mythor being so close to taking over the thrown he wouldn't have the time to spend with her when she's in pain.

On Morisrus, the royal family seemed to have a personal connection to their griffons, practically able to read each other's mind. In combat, that rumor was practically true. At least for Mythor and Koori, they have trained together since they both were young they're able to read each other's movements. It's something that bonded them together even closer and it seemed that the Prince and his griffon could read each other like an open book.

Tok suddenly stopped and turned towards Mythor. "My prince, the King awaits you." He bowed to Mythor and opened the door to the throne room. "Thank you Tok. Enjoy your day." Mythor added at the end, making sure that Tok understood him, but it seemed as if it went over his head as he turned around to go back to Mythor's room. He sighed and he wondered how he could get through to Tok.

Mythor walked into the throne room and saw his father in his chair. He bowed to his father and King Raginal dismissed the servants. They left the room quietly and without protest, leaving Mythor and King Raginal in the room. Mythor stood up straight and looked his father straight in the eyes. His father's eyes were more distant than usual. "Father, are you alright?" Mythor asked quietly, slowly coming to his father.