Chapter Twenty-Four: Lavender and Roses

Wyatt sat on the edge of the bed, looming in the dark as the day started just at the crack of dawn, shoulders slumped and eyes scanning the resting body on the far side of the bed; he could still feel her anger lingering in the air. Pushing past the worry, the guilt that made him want to crawl on his knees and apologize a million times until he is forgiven, even then he would apologize a million more just to be safe. Wyatt stumbles out of bed and washes up, covered himself with a thick three piece suit and hat, the old fashion willow cane leaned against the bed post and he eyed it with icy glares and a scorning frown.

He hated the cane, it reminded him of his recent defeats and further more, the insecurities for walking around with one at his age- not just for a fashion statement or even as a weapon to lure off thieves, but to actually use it when his spine aches and legs grow weak. Wyatt would notice the pity on strangers faces as he limped downtown, or even his fellow colleagues that recently heard the story of his childhood. The young American pushes that down to with a simply swallow of a limp stuck just below his Adam's apple. Grabbing hold of the cane, he walks to the other side of the bed, stared down at his love and kissed her warm forehead.

Delilah shivered under his cool touch, eyes flutter open and hand automatically reached out to caress his stubble cheek. "I will see you tonight, correct?"

"Yes, love you."

"Love you too."

Giving one more kiss on the cheek, Wyatt left the safe haven of his home and climbed into the four door vehicle issued out to all politicians for quick security reasons. The recently discovered automobile that restarted another evolution of technology, first electricity and next a fast and easier way to travel, other than boat and train.

"Here is the new schedule for you sir." Wyatt's hired intern- Jarvis Daken, a college student that works part-time for the government, mostly as a personal secretary or coffee fetcher. However, he managed to land a job with Wyatt after his past boss retired just in time when the survivor of London arrived. "A meeting with Mister George on the discussion of military operatives in United Kingdom at ten o'clock, then thirty past noon you have lunch with the Secretary of State, next the sitting with Vice President Anderson about the St.Pauls catholic school foundation- you sent a good donation for his nephew's choir so they can sing in California next Christmas."

"How much of a good donation?" Wyatt grumbled while looking at the short but also long list of meetings with people of power. Crawling to the top has put him through a great amount of stress, however, if he knew staying at the top would require ass kissing and loss of money; he would of settled great in the middle of this pyramid hierarchy.

"Five thousand dollars and a word with the owner of Hotel Elemis to give the boy's choir fine rooms and free room service."

"How generous of me. I want you to send flowers to Mueller's book store on Addison and fifth street, something that says: 'I apologize for what I said, let's not fight ever again'."

Jarvis writes down the address in his little notepad and smiled brighter from the romantic gesture. "What flowers do you have in mind sir? Roses can be a best fit but that's a little too common. Perhaps a mixture of lavender colored roses with actual lavender, mixed with Indian lotus."

"Whatever seems best, Jarvis." The young politician huffed in frustration as his tactic of romance reached nothing more than a good night fuck and kiss goodbye with some beautiful female stranger. Their argument last night has reminded him that the relationship he has walked into needs a little more than just sex and a kiss, a touch of passion every now and then to keep the relationship alive and well. The last thing he needs is a boring marriage that results into a unhappily one. "Put a card, quote: 'Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrate walls to arrive at its final destination full of hope.'- Maya Angelou."