Chapter Twenty-Five: Issues in the Motherland

Breathless... That's one word a person could say when watching the young woman stand in the middle of human traffic upon a train station platform, holding nothing but her purse as the lingering smoke caused a light fog. The matters of breathing did not cross Delilah's mind, not once until it was well needed to suck in the polluted smoky air, then she went back to not breathing.

Weeks of waiting, the month of February rolls by with its cold chilling air as March blocks the lingering chill with its bright sun and cool temperatures. The trees were starting form buds, flowers were being planted by porches and stores, coats were no longer needed as the sell of umbrellas and thin fabric clothing were now on the shelves. Delilah did not care about fashion and whether to pack an umbrella or not, her mind has drifted to nothing more than the British woman she called a sister; Amelie's arrival was past due.

Although, it has only been two months since they've last seen each other, it felt like eternity. Their relationship has never involved being apart for more than a day, yet along a week. As children, they were stuck to each other hips, not once breaking apart; even when Amelie past the age of twelve when puberty strikes the hardest, she was always by Delilah's side- playing, laughing, fighting off school boys that teased their livelihoods, and curse girls that points their noses in the air while saying nothing as their father's walk out the brothel in broad daylight. Their bond were stronger than blood sisters, held more trust than peered soldiers, and shared love more than a mother loved her children. If their age difference weren't so far apart, they would of been twins, mistaken of sharing the same womb and seen as a new scientific phenomenon.

Delilah shuddered as another train arrives, this one holding the logo of a specific transportation from South Carolina. Gripping the purse tighter, she tugged a strain of hair behind her ear and held her chin high as the group of passengers steps out and approach their love ones with hugs and smiles.

Standing amongst the crowd, a foreigner looked lost, luggage clenched in front of her plump stomach, and eyes scanning the area until coming upon a familiar face. "Delilah." Relief past her lips as her legs stretched forward, deeper into the station until wrapping her arms around the young woman's shoulders. "It's actually you... I'm actually here."

Delilah hugs back, careful not to squeeze too hard, considering Amelie's stomach creates space between them. "I have dreamed for this day, how was the journey?" Pulling away, she looked her over, easily noticing the usual short curly hair was now past Amelie's shoulders, slim face now full as her cheeks were puffy from the baby weight, breast bigger, and skin radiant. "Your pregnant." Hands shooting down to the round torso, she felt the baby move under the wool coat. A light chuckle in excitement and disbelief filled the air, Delilah smiled brighter as the actual thought of being an aunt never crossed her mind until reading the news.

"Six and a half months. I'm due in June, doctor say I'm giving birth in the first week."

"That's wonderful. Are you hungry? America may not have its own style, but there's a a sandwich called an hamburger, it's a beef patty with melted cheese and lettuce, it's amazing." Grasping the snake skin bag, Delilah was nearly jumping out of her shoes when guiding Amelie to the four door vehicle Wyatt provided, being that he couldn't be there himself, having his fiancée and pregnant sister-in-law walk all the way would be a low blow.

"Perhaps another time, I'm awfully tired and the train ride wasn't as comfortable than it seem."

"Your room is already made, I can have Samantha cook us lunch."

"Samantha?"

"Oh, the housekeeper."

"Housekeeper?" Amelie laughed abruptly as if told a hilarious joke. "Just four months ago you were cooking and cleaning for all the girls in the house, now you have someone doing all of that for you. It's like a fairytale, Cinderella meets Prince Charming, and she no longer have to take shit from the evil step-sisters."