Part 15

When I arrive home, Jilly-bean greets me cheerfully. "Dinner is almost ready."

"Something smells good."

Jillian leads me into the dining room where the table is set. Megs enters. Wearing dalmatian-print oven mitts, she sets a casserole dish in the center of the table.

She smiles. "Would you pour some wine while I serve the pasta?" 

"Love to." I open a bottle of red wine and fill two glasses.

"Wow. Chicken cacciatore." I lick my lips. "So what's the special occasion?"

"Nothing special. I left work early today and stopped by the grocery store."

I eagerly dig into my meal. "This is delicious. I almost forgot what a good cook you are."

"Thanks. I think."

Jillian adds, "I didn't think I was gonna like this but it's kinda good."

Megs smiles. "Kinda thanks." 

"So, how was your day, ladies?" I say around a mouthful of pasta. I see Megan giving a don't-you-dare look to my daughter.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Nothing." Jillian looks at her plate.

"Something happened."

"We're not supposed to add more stress."

"Jillian!" Megan's tone means business.

I turn to my wife. "Not supposed to add more stress? What's that about?"

"Let's enjoy our relaxing dinner together," Megan says in a soothing tone.

"Listen, guys." I draw the napkin across my cacciatore-coated lips. "I'm fine. Really."

Clearly, my wife is unhappy with my daughter.

"Did something happen at school again?" I ask.

Jillian turns her eyes to Megs.

"Come on. Tell me."

"She said I was disrupful."

"Disruptive." Megs corrects her.

"What did you do?"

"She says so many stupid things. I can't believe they let her be a teacher."

"Same teacher?"

"Ms. Castellano." 

"You didn't say stupid, did you?"

"No."

"She said that one of her neighbors got a pit bull..."

"Oh, geez," I sigh. I know exactly where this is headed.

"And that they should get rid of all pit bulls because they're dangerous."

"And you told her that pit bull isn't even an actual breed of dog."

"Right."

"And she said you were being disruptive?"

"I didn't get to that part yet."

Megs takes a drink of her wine.

"I said it was dumb to say that all pit bulls are vicious. That's like saying that all boys are strong and all girls are pretty and--"

I cut her off. "You said dumb?"

"It just kinda slipped out cause she made me so mad."

"Want more wine?" Megs asks.