hand holding

unedited

it was about 8pm, and the party was in el's cabin.

mike was sitting plop in the middle of the couch, the rest of them sitting on the flooring, just in front of him. it was thundering badly outside- the raindrops violently hitting against the glass.

he was reading stephen kings 'it' aloud, using his dramatic voice that he normally only saves for their dungeons and dragons campaigns. the room was dimly lit- only enough light to properly see the words on the pages.

he looked up from the book and glared down at the party in an attempt to be scary. it was working.

"and.. then.." he pauses for dramatic effect, slowly leaning forward. they listen, impatiently waiting for him to read the next line.

just then- the door abruptly swings open, making a big and hideous creaking sound, and then hitting the back of the wall with a loud bang. all of them- including mike- jump and yelp. eleven immediately grabs max's hand and intertwines their fingers- not thinking.

there, in the doorway, stands a dark and tall figure. the entire room is silent- and frozen with fear. "you scared us," mike rolls his eyes.

"i thought i was gonna die there, for a minute," dustin takes off his hat and wipes a layer of sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand, then puts it back on.

"you kids should go home. its getting late," hopper mutters.

max stares down at their hands, her face reddening. she'd always oddly.. admired eleven.

"can we atleast finish this chapter?" dustin asks. hopper looks over them. "please?" will drags out the short word. nobody can say no to will. the whole party looks up at him with pleading eyes.

hopper rolls his eyes. "alright, alright," he responds. "i can give you all a ride home when your done," he motions with his hand, allowing them to continue.

they all grin at each other, and mike continues reading from his book- but el doesn't let go of max's hand.