Lesson 22

The following morning, Benedikt woke to a gaping pit in his stomach

The following morning, Benedikt woke to a gaping pit in his stomach. The aching emptiness that licked at his ribs was partly due to the fact that Berne wasn't with them anymore, and partly because he hadn't eaten since the previous morning. His stomach grumbled in protest, but he took a moment to pour water over his grimy hands and tried to get some of the dirt and soot off of his face. He found the cleanest part of his white shirt and wiped his face there.

He emerged from his tent and found only Grielle by the dying fire. Kai perched beside her looking thinner than before and equally morose.

She turned at the sound of his footsteps on the grass. At the sight of him, she tore the slice of bread she was eating for breakfast in half and handed the larger portion to him. Her cheeks were flushed with pink and her skin was dewy from a fresh washing. Benedikt's fingers tingled with the urge to reach out and stroke the curve of her cheek.

"Make that last. We're running low on rations," she said.

Benedikt took a seat beside her and bit into the Andorian rye. "We'll have to do some hunting on our way back."

The Vicewing still huddled beside Princess Unae's crystal coffin. She had made pitiful whining noises all night and at the sight of them she made another.

"She is making it very hard to hate her," Grielle said.

~

The others soon stirred and grabbed the last of the rations for breakfast before they began to tear down the campsite. As Benedikt packed up his tent and sleeping roll, he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He looked up to see Talitha standing over him. Her eyes looked a bit red from crying, but her face had returned to its usual serene composure.

"I would like to continue on with your party," she said.

"Oh," Benedikt said as he stuffed his woolen blanket into his pack. "You don't have to—" he began.

"I want to. Plus, you need someone to be your guide through the woods. The elves all watched you wander about in circles before we rangers decided to investigate."

"All right," Benedikt said, offering her his hand. "I thank you."

She shook it, then left to help Yorick with his tent. Once they were packed up, Yorick headed over to where the dragon still guarded the princess. He stroked the soft scales of her snout and she seemed to sigh out a steam-filled breath of relief. She nosed Yorick in the chest before stretching out her leathery wings, which reached from one edge of the wide clearing to the other. With an energetic roar she pumped her wings and bounded into the air. The wind created by her wings made them all take a few steps back as they watched the puffy white clouds of morning engulf her.

Yorick joined the others, a small smile playing on his lips.

"What did she say to you?" Talitha asked, her interest clearly piqued by Yorick's ability.

He shrugged. "I told her we don't blame her for killing our comrade. And I told her the elves would protect their princess and she seemed sad. She said it's in a dragon's nature to protect, so she asked if she could watch out for me. I agreed."

Moose ruffled Yorick's hair. "Who knew? Yorick, Great Befriender of Dragons."

Yorick pushed Moose's hand away. "I'm sure it's a common gift among magical beings."

Talitha snickered as they started towards the river. "That is a tremendously rare gift, and not one we elves possess. You must have gotten the gift of magic from a fairy."

"Well, I got it from my father, and he from his mother," Yorick replied.

Talitha stopped and stepped nearer to Yorick. Her eyes flicked rapidly over his face. "Perhaps this is an ancient magic."

Moose pushed both of them onward, "Come, little ones. We have a long journey back to Stalvart."

~

They traveled up the river Torir to the foothills of the Sturmback Mountains. The way was treacherous and made their travels slow going. The misty river and its many waterfalls made everything slick, and many boulders and steep cliffs got in their way. Despite the ambling pace, following the river was the quickest way into the mountains.

They stopped to sleep under the overhang of a cliff the next night as dark rain clouds threatened storms from above. It rained the following day and the day after that. It grew colder the closer they got to the mountains and the air got thinner.

In a damp cave, they huddled close to the fire, hoping to warm the wetness from their bones. Ludvig kept watch at the entrance.

"I hate this rain," Benedikt said. "What I wouldn't give for some cold, dry, mountain air."

"We'll get that soon enough." Grielle said as she tended the skillet of fish they had caught in the river for dinner. Benedikt's lips pulled up at one corner into a smirk.

"Do you like the cold?" he asked casually.

Grielle shrugged and tried to keep her smile composed. "I like it best."

"Then you would like Stalvart."

"I already like what I've seen of it."

Benedikt gave Grielle a questioning look but she averted her gaze and instead smiled at the crackling fish.

Reyn cleaned another fish beside Grielle and gave her a little nudge in the ribs. Grielle shot her a dangerous glare.

"Perhaps we might stay in Stalvart awhile once we get back," Reyn said with a mischievous glint in her eyes that only Grielle noticed. "I think we could all use a little rest and relaxation."

Yorick and Moose voiced their support of this plan. Talitha remarked that she had never been to Stalvart.

"Oh!" Reyn exclaimed. "Benedikt, Grielle needs to change the bandages on her burns. Can you give her a hand? I'll take over the fish."

Benedikt nodded, and Grielle passed the skillet to Reyn.

"I'll get you more of my healing poultice," Talitha chimed in.

Grielle situated herself near enough to the fire so Benedikt could see her wounds. Without protest she extended her left hand to him. Her fingers tingled at being wrapped up in his rough hands as he slowly unwrapped her bandaged forearm. She focused her eyes on his hands rather than his face, which was bent close to hers.

Once he had revealed the tender red skin, he carefully rubbed the paste over her arms with two fingers. Grielle sighed as the mixture tempered the burning and itching that plagued her wound.

"Thanks," she said, savoring the relief from the pain, and the tenderness of Benedikt's touch.

"You're welcome." His voice was low and breathy.

He finished wrapping her burns and tucked in the ends of the white bandages, but he allowed for his hands to linger on hers at any chance he could find. And Grielle did the same.

"Listen," she began, her voice hushed so the others wouldn't hear. "I want to talk to you about something." Grielle let her fingers tangle with Benedikt's.

"What do you mean?" he whispered. His hand tightened around hers.

Grielle brought her eyes up to meet Benedikt's, which glistened even in the low light. She gave a faint laugh. "I mean I think I—" she stopped short as Ludvig rushed back into the cave.

"Put out the fire," he said. "There's something out there."