Lesson 37

Lesson 37: Between East and West, Family Is Best

For someone supposedly descended from royalty, Grielle felt uncharacteristically out of place in a castle. She appreciated the fluffy beds that helped soothe her weary mind and tired body, but having to wear dresses and be attended by servants felt odd, bordering on unnatural. It also didn't help that an armada of maidens had shown up to woe Benedikt away from her. She took comfort in his words of the previous morning when he had assured her that nothing would keep them apart.

"It's just a setback," she told herself as she nibbled a slice of toast from the tray the kitchens had sent to her room.

News of the ball traveled quickly, and the castle was already humming with excitement as preparations had to be made in only three days' time.

Grielle felt a sudden sliver of unease. She would soon have to attend a ball — in a dress. And she'd have to dance — in a dress.

A knock sounded on the door, breaking her from her brief moment of panic. She wrapped her dressing gown tighter around her waist and answered the door. A servant entered with a box adorned with a bow. She placed it on the bed beside the breakfast tray. Before Grielle could inquire about it, the girl had gone.

Grielle didn't find a card tucked in the bow, so she tugged the velvet ribbon loose. Under the lid of the box, she found a necklace of glittering gems. Her breath stopped as the stones caught the light from her window.

"Do you like it?"

She spun to see Benedikt leaning against the door frame.

"I've never seen anything so beautiful," she said.

He crossed the small chamber and helped her fasten the cascade of white gemstones around her throat. Grielle's breath hitched as she felt his fingers brush the tender skin of her neck. She turned to the mirror above her dressing table to admire the effect.

Ignoring her own reflection, she watched as Benedikt drank in her appearance. "It's a bit too much for everyday wear," she remarked, drawing her hand to finger the cold stones.

"Of course," Benedikt said. "It's for you to wear to the masquerade."

And suddenly the spell was broken and Grielle felt her heart sink. For a moment she had almost forgotten it all.

"Are you all right?" he asked, placing a comforting hand on her back.

Grielle schooled her lips into a smile and turned to face him. She nodded. "Just a little nervous about the ball."

Benedikt smiled back. "That makes two of us."

Grielle laughed nervously. "I can't dance."

"Me neither. Not the kind of dancing they do at a ball, anyway."

"Moose can teach us," she said, feeling moderately relieved.

"I'd appreciate that," he replied with a laugh that fell off into silence. His smile faded. "I'm off to pay my last respects to Fanna. I thought you might want to join me. I invited the other Liberators as well. They'll be meeting us in the grand hall."

"Of course I'll come with you." She slipped her hand in his and turned to leave.

"Wait." A tug on her arm stopped her short. "Before we go..." Benedikt slipped his hands around Grielle's neck to unclasp the necklace. As he did, he placed a long kiss on her lips. "I love you," he whispered.

Grielle could still feel the shadow of his lips on hers as he released her — the weight of the necklace too. Her pulse fluttered, but she couldn't tell if it was from excitement or nerves. "I love you too," she replied, but the words felt surprisingly heavy on her tongue and a strange sensation in the back of her head told her to run. Benedikt watched her quizzically but she pushed the thought from her head.