Lesson 25

King Sander didn't have to say anything for Benedikt to feel his disappointment

King Sander didn't have to say anything for Benedikt to feel his disappointment. Instead of offering any condolences, he picked himself up and headed over to attend to the injuries of his men. Benedikt walked back towards the Liberators. His head hung low, and with a tired hand, he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Ben?" Grielle asked as he passed.

"I'm fine," he mumbled.

Ludvig massaged his sore wrists as he crossed to where they stood. "Did you hear what they said about the Lady of the Mountain? You have any idea what that was about?" He directed the question at Benedikt.

Benedikt shrugged. "I've never heard of her."

Talitha soundlessly appeared beside them. "She must be well versed in Withering Magic, and very powerful if she can create Mountain Trolls."

"Perhaps my father knows," Benedikt said.

They joined the Stalvarts near the edge of the clearing. King Sander turned at their arrival and offered Grielle a handshake. She accepted it hesitantly.

"I owe you a great debt for helping my son on his quest, regardless of its futility."

Grielle withdrew her hand and tried to give Benedikt an apologetic look. Words escaped him. The tendons in his jaw pulsed; his lips pressed into a thin line.

"Regardless of whether he found his True Love or not, your son has proved to be one of the bravest and best warriors I have ever fought beside," Grielle said. Her tone was tense as if she felt some of his anger. Benedikt wanted to thank her for such words.

King Sander smiled at this and placed a hand on his shoulder. Benedikt met his father's eyes for just a moment.

"I don't doubt that," King Sander said.

Benedikt paused, registering an obvious question that should have already been asked. "What brings you to Bleakwood?"

King Sander's face clouded over with solemnity. "My scouting party was supposed to send word when they stopped for supplies in Balkor on their way to Linnea. I fear they have not arrived."

Talitha stepped forward at this point. "Princess Talitha, Your Majesty. Ranger of Rosenfjell and Bleakwood." She gave King Sander a graceful curtsy. "I regret to tell you that no soldiers of Stalvart have passed through Bleakwood. We patrol the parts of the forest between the borders of Rosnefjell and Balkor If they had, we would have known."

King Sander gave her a nod and rubbed a hand through his short beard. The corners of his lips turned down into a frown.

"Did you hear what the trolls said about the Lady of the Mountain?" Benedikt asked.

King Sander nodded again and looked into the eyes of each of his men. "Have any of the patrols reported anything of the sort?"

The men shook their heads in reply and King Sander let out an angry sigh. "I'd hate to think we have been letting Withering fester so close to Stalvart."

"There is Withering everywhere these days," Talitha offered in her calming way. Her soft voice was always reassuring. "Nothing like during the Bane, but enough for the elves to be concerned."

King Sander bowed his head to the elven princess in a gesture of thanks. "In any case, I can't let a threat like this go unanswered." He looked to his son. "We will head into Oryn's pass, for the village of Njord. It'll be the best place to start to look for our comrades."

Benedikt gave his father a stern nod. The steady rain still beat his hair into tangles that stuck to his forehead. He pushed them out of his eyes with the back of his hand. A loud troll snore echoed through the clearing. "We should leave before the trolls awaken," he said. "They are only under a sleeping spell."

King Sander signaled for his warriors to clear out, and they headed for the trees where they'd left their horses. Benedikt made steps to follow, but turned back to the Liberators, watching their sympathetic faces through the rain. This misguided quest had gone farther than he, or any of them expected. He opened his mouth, not sure what he would say, but he felt Moose's heavy hand grip his shoulder.

"We're with you till the end," Moose offered, confirming what Benedikt already suspected.

He ducked his head to hide the tears he swiped from his eyes. When he looked up again, his eyes met Grielle's. Her gaze held no apology, no pity at his fate — only admiration. His tongue felt dry and heavy in his mouth. What could friends even say to each other in situations such as these?

Reyn broke the moment by throwing an arm over Benedikt's shoulder. "Come on then, little prince, let's go find us some warriors and rid the world of a little Withering Magic, huh?"

"That's the plan," Benedikt said.

They headed after King Sander and his warriors. Grielle clicked her tongue and Kai flew from his perch to land on her arm.

The waterlogged bird settled himself onto Grielle's arm and then made a rather clumsy hop to her shoulder.

Kai ruffled his wings a bit, looking far less intimidating with his wet feathers stuck out every which way. He gave a pitiful squeak.

"It's okay. We've all had enough of the rain," Benedikt replied. Kai tilted his head at Benedikt, all yellow eyes in a tangle of grey.

Grielle stroked Kai's chest with the back of her index finger. "I think he's coming around to you." She cut Benedikt a playful glance.

Benedikt felt strangely pleased to have a bird's approval. "Finally," he replied.

The rain let up around midday, only to be replaced by a bitterly cold wind. As the trees thinned and they neared the forest's edge, they spotted the peaks of the Sturmback Mountain Range. The Liberators procured horses, furs and heavy cloaks from the Stalvarts, having left most of their supplies when they pursued the troll that had taken Talitha. With their countrymen's lives at stake, they moved at a quick clip, and by sunset, they were surrounded by the towering stone walls of Oryn's Pass.