Chapter 19: Dire Shock• Nayla

Nayla curled up on the couch next to Asad's bed. She had spent the majority of the week in Asad's hospital room. She was getting good vibes from it. Asad seemed to be doing fine, and it was nice and quiet. Plus, she was unknowingly giving her parents a break. She knew they were stretched too thin. She was more than happy to stay with Asad for a couple of weeks.

Over the course of the week, she had some good talks with Asad and she was looking forward to another full week with him. She did his hair a couple of times and had put on some face masks for him. They just chilled and tried to make the best out of the day. He was fun to hang out with and when she played shows on T.V she pretended like he understood what was happening.

She swallowed the popcorn and went on with her rant, "Madison's been on my case for 3 years. I'm glad I finally stood up for myself, but I kind of wish I hadn't. I learned some stuff that I don't wanna know anymore."

Nayla let out a sigh, "Yeah, you're right. Everything happens for a reason. And yeah, I don't think Anwar and I will work out. He flat out betrayed me and now I can't even vent to Wattpad. I have to make an entirely new account and start from scratch. I know right, boys suck. I can't believe he chose Madison."

She stuck out her tongue and tried to catch the popcorn with her mouth. Anwar liked Madison and not her, it was a sad reality. Nayla kicked her feet out in the air and kept ranting to Asad about random things that didn't matter. He was such a good listener. He never interrupted her, judged her, or ridiculed her. He was the only sibling, or person for that matter, that she could talk to without worrying about her stutter or sounding stupid.

Asad started violently shaking. Nayla stood up super fast and frantically looked around as the machines around him started beeping like crazy. His muscles looked stiff and his entire body was shaking. Nayla put her hands on her head in confusion, not knowing what to do, and then his body fell lifelessly on the bed. She let out a faint gasp.

Nayla felt her heart pounding as she ran into the hallway. "DOCTOR, I NEED A DOCTOR." she said, waving desperately at anyone that would listen. She spotted Asad's usual doctor and ran up to her.

"Em-emergency," she said to her dragging her away from another patient.

They bolted back to the room and the doctor blocked Nayla from coming in, "I need you to stay outside," she said.

Nayla nodded as the doctor called for a nurse. She stood at the door pacing and trying to stop the tears from coming. She needed to be strong, for Asad. She pulled out her phone from her pocket and shot a quick text to her parents. She didn't know what was going on and she didn't want to be alone when the doctor broke the news.

The doctor came out after a couple of minutes and invited Nayla back inside. Nayla tiptoed in and took a peek at Asad. He had more tubes in him, but he seemed to be breathing fine. Nayla breathed a sigh of relief and sat back down on the couch as she waited for her parents to get here.

They rushed in after a couple of minutes and greeted the doctor. She gave them a bit to settle in and explained the situation. "As you all know Asad is epileptic. He just experienced a seizure. It was a Tonic-clonic seizure, which is a type of Generalized seizure. He lost consciousness momentarily, but he's fine now. I would guess the seizure went on for about 4 minutes, so it wasn't that bad." The doctor gave them a pressed smile when she was done.

"Is he stable?" Nayla's mom asked.

"Well," said the doctor, looking at the monitor. "He's getting there. The seizure was a minor setback. He's not in the best state, but he likely won't get any worse."

Asad sat upright on his bed. The doctor had some of the wires around him removed. His hair was ruffled and his breathing was fast paced. Her mom stood next to him and coddled him like a small child. She fixed his shirt and pushed his hair out of his eyes. Asad looked up at all of them. Nayla knew he couldn't understand what was going on, but a little part of her hoped he could.

"Can you give him some medicine," said Nayla's dad. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"We can't cure him with medicine, but we can treat him." said the doctor. "I'll have a nurse bring some up. Asad has a had a couple of tough breaks, but we're not giving up on him, and neither should you."

Her parents nodded and thanked the doctor for her time. Nayla tried to keep a positive attitude as the doctor continued, but all that was going through her head was that it was only a matter of time.