Prologue ~ Blood in the Snow

A young child stumbled through the blizzard, wearing nothing but a shirt and thin pants. The freezing temperature didn't seem to affect her, however, although the heavy snow and the strong winds hindered her progress.

The child's long black hair stood out in stark contrast to the snow, although her ghostly pale skin blended right in. She kept her piercing black eyes fixed on her mother, a thin, angular woman with high cheekbones and a strict aura, who led the way, keeping one eye on the child and another on their surroundings.

The pair trudged down the snowy slopes, keeping to the shadowiest patches they could find. It was obvious they were hiding from someone, but who?

"Minerva!"

A voice cut through the snow, echoing loudly.

"Crow?" Minerva's voice was surprisingly soft, coming from such a hard-looking woman.

"Here," a man said, sliding out of the surrounding blizzard. Upon seeing them, his face went from terrified to ecstatic.

"Come one, I think we're being followed," Minerva announced, pushing them onwards.

"Oh no," Crow replied, his face falling. He followed close behind, holding the child's hand.

"If we hurry, we should be able to get away before they catch up," Minerva offered.

Little did they know, eyes the colour of the arctic sea were already watching them go.

                                                             ~+~+~+~

Hours later, the trio found that the snow was beginning to disappear, replaced by stones.

Both adults had shoes, but the child didn't, so Crow carried her. All three were tired, but the fear of being caught drove them on.

"Minerva!" Crow exclaimed as a sudden barrage of snow fell from the sky, blocking their view of one another.

In response, Minerva threw her arms skyward and closed her eyes, causing the snow to cease entirely.

Unfortunately, the snow's disappearance allowed them to see their surroundings.

"Hello!" the child exclaimed cheerfully upon seeing their pursuers.

Her parents whirled around and their eyes filled with fright at the sight of the twelve men in matching uniforms. At least, mostly matching uniforms. While everyone else wore icy blue cloaks that covered their whole body, the man in the lead wore a dark blue cloak with golden edging.

"Please..." Crow begged. "Leave us be!"

"Now, why would I do that?" the lead man asked. "You were trespassing. By law, you and your family are rightful property of the Tempest."

"Since when did you or your rebel group follow laws of any kind?" Minerva shot back. "Just have mercy for once!" 

"What would I achieve by letting you all go?" the man replied calmly. "Nothing, that's what."

"We're also running from the ice mages," Minerva said. "And isn't an enemy of your enemy your friend?"

"Now why, might I ask, are you running from them?" The man shot an inquiring look at Crow, who's eyes flicked to the child in his arms.

"My, my." The man smiled. "You two have been naughty. A Mixling, of all things!"

"Leave her out of this!" Minerva shouted, her face twisted into an expression of anguish and fury.

"Oh, shush," the man shot back. "I'm talking to this young lady now."

"Who are you?" the child asked as he set her down.

"I'm Jupiter, the leader of the Tempest," the man replied. "And who are you?"

"I'm..." the child trailed off, and then shrugged.

"Leave her alone!" Minerva yelled again, suddenly throwing herself at Jupiter. Crow followed her example, but before either one of them could lay a hand on him, they were restrained by the other men.

"Tsk, tsk." Jupiter shook his head. "I had such hope for your cooperation. Gifteds as powerful as you two would have been very useful for the Tempest. But no matter."

He nodded at four of his men, who began dragging Minerva and Crow away from the rest.

"Mommy! Daddy!" The child rushed after her parents, but Jupiter held her back.

"Do not follow them," he ordered. "After all, they are nothing but thieves, daughter."

"You're not my daddy!" the child yelled.

"Of course I am," Jupiter lied. "Those people you call mommy and daddy stole you from me when you were very young. But now I have found you once more!"

"...really?" the child whispered, her eyes wide.

"Really," Jupiter assured her, a smile plastered to his face.

"The trespassers have been dealt with, sir," one of the light-blue cloaked men announced. "I recommend we move out soon."

"Give me a moment," Jupiter replied, turning back to the child. "From now on, your name will be Dawn, to signal the dawn of a new age. And together, you and I will rule the world."