Chapter 12

Cat's P.O.V

The smell of rotting flesh fills my nostrils as I run faster. The sun is blinding my vision, making it near impossible to see where I am going. My legs are aching due to the constant physical exertion. I'm breathless but I push on, knowing it's my only chance at survival.

"Come on Cat!" The southern drawl urges.

Daryl is at my side, keeping easy pace with me.

"Over here." He says.

He grabs my hand and drags me into a building on our left. Once inside, we barricade the door and seek higher ground. We are in an old office building, able to see the walker infested streets below. I lean over and use my knees as support to catch my breathe. I look over at Daryl who is checking the room for walkers.

"Is it clear?" I ask.

"I think you'll wanna see this."

I pull the knife out of my belt and walk towards the doorway. I peer past him and my heart stops as well as my breathing. I stride past him and walk towards them. The child is staring at me, her brown hair below her ears, greens eyes shining. Her face brightens up as I draw nearer, her arms stretching out to me. I pick her up and clutch her to my chest.

"Annie." I breathe, taking in every drop of her.

I look up and see James smiling at the two of us. He walks over and hugs us both.

"James."

"Cat."

All of a sudden, she is snatched out of my arms. I look and see her limp body laying in James' arms. I cry out.

"No!"

"How could you bring him here Cat!"

I look behind me and see Daryl pointing the crossbow at James. I turn and see the arrow in Annie's chest.

"What did you do?!" I scream.

I run at him and slap him across the face. He glares at me and points the crossbow at James again. I turn and see the arrow pierce his chest.

"James!" I scream, running to him.

I hold him against my chest, along with our daughter and cry uncontrollably. I look at James, but come to face with a walker. The walker lunges forward and bites my neck, my screams filling the air. An arrow goes through the head of the monster. I turn and see Daryl pointing the crossbow at me.

"What are you doing?"

"I thought you loved me, but it was always him. It was never me." He says.

"What are you saying?"

"You never wanted me. You were using me you selfish bitch!"

"I would never..."

"Save your lies. I don't wanna hear it. Now you are going where you belong. To hell.

The last thing I see is an arrow flying at me.

I sit up and let out a scream. The room is pitch black and silent. I breathe heavily, trying to catch my breath. I feel the bed move suddenly and the lamp turn on. Daryl sits up and looks me in the eyes.

"Are you okay?" He asks worried.

I look at him and burst into tears. He pulls me against him and lays back down. He strokes my hair and whispers that it will be okay. I clutch at him and pull him hard against me, needing to know he was there and alive. He holds me back and waits as I cry. He kisses my hair and lays his head on mine. I begin to calm down as the terror from the nightmare subsides. My breathing becomes even and the tears stop flowing, the sniffling ceasing. I lean up on my elbow and look at him. He reaches and wipes the tears from my eyes.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"You don' need to be. It was just a bad dream."

"Yeah but I woke you up and you need your rest if we are going on a supply run. I'll go back to my bed so you can sleep." I say beginning to sit up.

He pulls me back and holds me tighter against his body, "You ain't goin' anywhere."

I lay my head down, my hands tracing his chest. His hand continues to run up and down my back.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"It was just a stupid dream." I lie.

"Clearly it wasn't because if it was, you wouldn't have had tears streaming down that pretty face of yours, now would you?"

I have a small smile at his comment.

"It was about Annie and James."

He stays silent and waits for me to continue.

"You and I were running from walkers and we went into an abandoned office building. We barricaded the doors and went upstairs. You were checking for walkers and called me over. I walked into the office and saw James and Annie. Annie was two years old, what her age would be if she had..." I trail off.

I take a deep breath and continue, "Anyway. I got to hold her and James came over, it was almost as if we were a normal family. But then she was gone and James was holding her body, she had an arrow in her chest." His brow furrows.

"James was yelling at me about you being there. Then you...shot him. I was holding him when a walker took his place and but me. You were pointing your crossbow at me, claiming that I was using you and that you loved me and I didn't. Then you shot me and that's when I woke up." I whisper.

Silence hangs in the air, the room filling with tension. I look up at Daryl who is staring at me, horror in his eyes.

"Say something." I whisper.

"Is that what you really think?"

"What do you mean?"

"I would never harm you. I would never let anythin' happen to you or anyone you cared abou'. Seeing you in any kind of pain breaks my heart in two." He whispers.

"What are you saying?"

He leans forward and presses his lips against mine. A tingling sensation spreads all over my body as our lips move in sync. My breath hitches and I grip his shoulder, holding him firmer against my body. He pulls away and looks into my eyes.

"Wha' I'm sayin' is I care about yer."

I smile and lean my forehead against his and close my eyes.

"I care about you too. A lot. The thought of losing you is unbearable. You mean so much to me." I whisper.

I open my eyes and stare into the depths of his blue ones, showing nothing but affection. I lean forward and kiss him again. He pulls away.

"I think we need to sleep. We have a big day tomorrow."

I nod and kiss him one more time. I lay down and face the wall. The lamp switches off and he pulls me against his chest, wrapping his arms around my waist. I wrap my hands in his and snuggle against his chin. Slowly, I drift off.