Chapter 16

Daryl's P.O.V

The sound of early morning birds fill the air, causing me to wake. I open my eyes and take in my surroundings. The living room was clean, despite the mess we made last night. It was a good run, we got lots of supplies and even found some food and clothes. I feel a stirring behind me and I look down. Cat is facing away from me. Still snuggled into my side, one of her hands by her face, the other gripping onto my arm. She is snoring softly, the noise barely filling the air. Her face is content and peaceful, the most relaxed I have ever seen her.

I gently pull away and try to not wake her as I get up. I grab my jeans and slip them on and walk over to the food. I grabbed the beans and looked in the pack for the food we brought. I pull out the water bottles, and some of the food. I open the cans and grab some spoons, walking back over to Cat. I lay the food on the ground and go to wake her.

"Cat..." I say, shaking her.

She stirs and turns over to look at me, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"What time is it?" She asks groggily.

"Later than I wanted to be awake. Had a bit of a sleep in." I say. She nods and sits up, the blanket falling and revealing her chest. I clear my throat and look away. She laughs, grabs my sleeveless flannel and puts it on.

I grab the food and pass her a can, a spoon and a bottle of water. She takes them and places them on the ground, standing up. The shirt falls midway to her thigh as she starts to walk away.

"Where you goin'?" I ask.

"If you must know, I haven't been to the bathroom in a long time and I'm busting." She laughs.

I chuckle as she walks off and I grab the beans and start eating. Cat walks back in and takes her seat on the mattress. She grabs the water bottle and takes a long drink, swallowing down half the contents.

"Thirsty?" I ask.

"Yeah." She mumbles and grabs the food, beginning to eat.

We eat in silence. I finish my food and grab the rubbish and put it into the fire place. Cat finishes hers and hands it to me, I add it to the fire.

"Alrigh', we'll pack up and get goin' in ten?" I ask.

She nods and goes to stand up. However when she stands she clutches at her stomach and falls back onto the couch.

"Cat?" I ask alarmed.

She groans and rolls over. I rush over to her and pull her hand away. I move the shirt and see the cut from yesterday. It has darkened and it is oozing out liquid.

"Why didn' yer tell me it hurt?" I growl.

I grab some water and tear off a strip from the sheet. I pour water in it and dab at the wound, earning whimpers from Cat. I clean the wound as best I can and head out to the truck to grab antibiotics. I return and give her them and some water.

I walk over to the clothes and grab her jeans and boots. I pull the jeans over her legs and pull her standing up. She grips onto my shoulders as I kneel and pull the jeans up and do the zipper. While I'm there I put the boots on. I stand up, her hands still on my shoulders. She looks up into my eyes, smiling. All of a sudden she collapses into my arms, her body going still.

"Cat?" I say, tapping her face to which she doesn't respond.

"Cat?!" I yell, shaking her hard.

I lay her on the mattress and press my ear to her chest. I hear her breathing and her heartbeat, but it's weak. I scoop her up into my arms and run to the truck. I strap her in and run and get the rest of the supplies. I dump them in the bed of the truck and start the engine. I drive as fas as I can into the direction of the prison. We drove most of the way back yesterday so it's around a half an hour's drive. Every now and then I look over at her and see her chest moving slightly.