Chapter 52

Cat's P.O.V
Completely enraged I storm out of the church without looking back. I walk towards the back of the church, past the questioning looks of Rosita and Eugene. Abraham was at the engine of the bus tinkering with the tools the priest provided.

Around the back of the church are the remnants of a vegetable garden. The grass is overgrown and near the edge of the boundary near a shed is a swinging lounge set. I stomp over to it and sit down in a huff, placing my head in my hands. Using my legs I begin to swing back and forth, the motion oddly comforting.

"Are you alright?" The southern twang asks.

I look up and see Maggie standing above me, blocking the harsh sun from my sight.

"I'm fine." I mutter, looking back down.

Maggie turns and awkwardly sits down on the seat, I stop the rocking to make it easier. She sits down and leans back against the seat, letting out a groan.

"You right?" I ask.

"Yeah. It's just getting hard to move around you know?" She replies.

"Yeah. I remember towards the end..." I begin, the memories coming back.

She looks at me, her eyes full of sympathy. I look back done, avoiding her gaze.

"You wanna tell me what all the yelling was about?" She asks.

"It's nothing. It's just Daryl..." I pause, scrunching my nose up and clenching my teeth.

"He's being such an asshole! He gets mad at me for my friendship with Rick but yet he's the one who is cuddling up to Carol. While I'm here getting larger by the day, trying to survive and keep our baby safe. You'd think he'd take my side, but no he takes Carol's and I'm here alone, while they go out and do God knows what!" I rant.

"Why is he taking Carol's side?" She asks.

"I may have told her to back off with her friendship with Daryl." I mumble, avoiding eye contact.

"Ahh..." She says.

"What?" I say, looking at her.

"It's nothing..." She trails off

"Just say it Maggie."

"It's just I can see where he is coming from. From what I see, you have a close relationship with Rick and Daryl has a close relationship with Carol. You told Carol to back off, while you and Rick continue your relationship. What Daryl sees is a double standard." She explains.

"But I haven't been hanging out with Rick much at all-" I begin.

"Yes. But he didn't tell you to stop your friendship with him did he?"

"No-"

"So, if Daryl is not making you stop your relationship with Rick, why are you making him stop his with Carol?" She asks.

I go to speak but am unable too, no words forming in my head. I close my mouth and look away, frustrated that yet again Maggie is right. I sit there for awhile and think things over, while Maggie swings in silence. She gets up, interrupting my thoughts.

"You alright?" I ask.

"Yeah. I might go have a nap while I wait for Glenn to get back."

"Where'd he go?"

"He went on a gun run with Tara." She says, walking away slowly.

"See ya."

She waves a hand behind her and heads around the front of the church. I sigh and keep swinging, thinking things over. I know that what Maggie said is right, that I wasn't fair. I need to talk to Daryl when he gets back and apologise. I hate fighting with him. I silently stroke my belly, feeling the baby turn over.