Practice Prepares

Published: 2021
Edited: 2024 (Grammar/Spelling) 

Jasper and Edward were in the living room discussing what their mates would do during the fight, when Edward notably winced.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. Ivy's dreams are really strong."

"What's she dreaming about?"

"Her team. Mostly."

"Mostly? What other things is she dreaming about?"

"Her parents, Charlie, Bella. You."

Jasper couldn't help but smile. Knowing that his mate was dreaming about him, was warming his non-beating heart. If he could dream, he'd dream of a life with her. He started to ask another question, when Edward frowned.

"What's wrong?"

"Her dreams....they're turning dark."

"Dark how?"

Before Edward could answer, Ivy let out a bone chilling scream. Jasper bolted back up to his room, and found Ivy thrashing around in his bed. Jasper rushed over and scooped her up into his arms. He whispered calming words into her ear, while using his gift to gently bring her out of the nightmare. Ivy clung to him, freaked from her nightmare.

"I couldn't save them. I was right there, and I couldn't save them...."

Jasper whispered words of comfort, gently running his fingers through her hair. They sat in silence. Jasper planting a kiss on Ivy forehead every so often. After an hour, Ivy sat up running her hands over her face. She got up, and rummaged through her duffle bag.

"Ivy..."

"I'm fine." She grumbled.

"Ivy if you...."

"I SAID I'M FINE!" Ivy snapped.

Her face said otherwise. Her jaw was clenched, her fists were clenched to the point that her knuckles were ghost white. Her breathing was elevated, as was her heart rate.

"I understand that. But darlin' I can tell otherwise."

"So just because you're a vampire, have super hearing, you think you know what's going on? You know nothing, Jasper. You know nothing, of what's goes on in my head when I sleep."

Ivy stormed into the bathroom. She closed the door, and turned the shower on. As she stripped her clothes off, and got in, the guilt started to seep in. She never meant to snap at Jasper.

The shower was quick. Ivy still used to time management from being overseas. As she got out, she tripped on the rug, and landed on her shoulder. She carefully sat up, testing her shoulder. A sharp, stinging pain emanating from the area. 

"Great. Just great." 

"You okay?" Jasper asked. 

"Just slipped. I'll be fine." Ivy insisted. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Esme says there's some food in the kitchen if you get hungry."

"Great. Thank you."

Ivy waited, until she couldn't hear Jasper's footsteps, before she stood up. With her foot, she dried up the water was on the floor. When she tried to dry her body, her shoulder protested. She clenched her jaw, at the thought of having to ask for help.

"Ivy? I'm here to help."

"Alice no."

"Don't worry. It's just me."