Chapter 7

Warm fluorescent lights hang from the high ceiling and illuminated the surroundings. The interiors' design was further exaggerated with fine, Renaissance details which made everything richer.

The sound of clattering plates and gentle laughter echoed inside the gigantic room. This was the school cafeteria which was equivalent to fine dining belonging to arabian princes.

In an elevated space, beside the thin, clear window glass, Reese and Luke were eating their lunch peacefully.

After a few days of staying together, it was already natural for the two to eat lunch and go to and from classes with each other as companions. They were practically stuck together and used to it.

Reese loved the cafeteria. Each lunch set had its own blend of nutritous food, arranged in a beautiful presentation. But what she loved the most were the desserts. The sweet sansrival cake that she thought would serve a memory forever was actually included in the menu. Her mouth couldn't stop drooling just thinking about it.

"Greetings, Reese Graschen."

A smile as wide and fresh as a flower appeared before Reese. His hands cupping his own face, Mervun used his most adorable smile that could charm both ladies and gents as he fluttered his long lashes.

"We don't like snakes here, go back to your den. You're making me lose my appetite." Luke interrupted and gnarled at Mervun who suddenly appeared at their table.

Reese almost choked from laughter. It was true. Mervun really had a snake-like personality and Luke saw it through his sweet facade at an instant. Brilliant.

Despite being amused, Reese maintained composed and acted as the peacemaker that everyone knew she was...or the orignal was.

"You are being rude Lake, you musn't display such discourteous behavior toward a school mate."

"....You're talking about rude? More than a week has passed and yet you still can't remember my name right!"

"..."

Reese feigned ignorance and turned to Mervun who tapped her shoulder.

"R-Reese? Um." Mervun fiddled with his fingers.

"Yes, Gnashe?"

"Just Mervun is fine. I want to apologize once more to you regarding our unpleasant first meeting."

"Unpleasant? I wanna hear about this." Luke tried to join the conversation but was quickly ignored.

"You don't have to do that. I've already said that I've accepted it. We should just move on and not dwell on the past."

Mervun blinked his big, glistening eyes at Reese. "You truly are good-hearted and gracious just like what the rumors say! I so admire you! It's no wonder you even have your very own fanclub. If my memory serves right, it's called R.G.H. [Reese Graschen is Hot]"

Reese almost choked and lose her composure whilst Luke looked on with jealousy in his eyes. "Tsk, being popular sure must feel good huh."

"Uh, I see. Thank you for sharing such interesting information."

"You are very much welcome. I, myself plan to join too because you inspire me a lot to become a kind and gracious intellectual." Flowers beamed behind Mervun, flourishing a positive vibe.

Aaahhh! It's too flowery! Too much sucking up!

Reese squinted her eyes and silently endured the petals falling on her.

Reese had mixed feelings about Mervun. He came up to them at his own accord, it was...truth to be told, suspicious.

She knew he wasn't the type to initiate, he was one who pulled on the strings of people from behind the shadows. Just what could his aim be?

From her past experience of playing RRC, Mervun was a hard catch. Because of how good he could mix lies with truth, Reese was hesitant between believing and disbelieving his said words.

Reese massaged her throbbing forehead in a casual-like way. After thinking for a minute or two, she gave Mervun one of her friendliest smiles.

"Why don't you join us and have a meal too?"

Just let him think he got on my good side.

"Wait. What-" Luke tried to intervene.

"Oh, of course! I'll gladly take up that invitation." As if he was waiting for this moment, Mervun who was already sitting across them, brought down his tray of food that came out from who knows where.

"Hey! Does no one care about MY opinion?!" Luke looked funny all red from anger. "I don't want this feminine-looking guy sitting with us!"

"Kuhum." Tears formed in Mervuns' eyes. "Reese, your friend Lake is bullying me."

"It's LUKE!"

Mervun tugged on Reeses' coat whilst his puppy mode was on. "Please punish this insignificant hoodlum for me," is what his eyes seem to tell. Mervun pouted with his cheeks flushed in light pink.

"..."

Dangerous! I have to get away fast or I'll be sweeped into doing what he wants!

Cuteness is one of the most threatening weapons in the world. Despite knowing Mervuns' true personality, his physical aspect was hard to fight against. Reese could only do one thing at the moment.

Run away.

"Huh? Where are you going?"

"Reese must not want to associate with you who only has a single digit in mental age." Luke spat.

"Aah?" A cold glint shone within Mervuns' eyes.

In Reeses' heart, she silently prayed for Lukes funeral that will most certainly happen in the near future. His constant yapping against Mervun had most probably earned him a place in the blacklist.

I wonder what kind of flowers should be brought for funerals...

"Don't mind what he said, Mervun. I'm just getting dessert, that's all." Reese explained. She quickly throttled away before Mervun could say anything else. She could hear the start of a childish quarrel from far away as she went to the counter.

"Somehow, my life has gotten noisier..."

But it didn't bother Reese. Actually, it brought more of a smile to her face than a frown.

"M-Master Graschen? You plan to order food from the counter? Please let me do the honor."

"What? I was planning to say that first!"

"Get out of my way, b*tch! I was first!"

"My households' position is higher than you! How dare you!"

A short moment just after leaving, Reese was instantly surrounded by aggresive, blood-thirsty creatures: girls. Maybe she had forgotten because it had been some time, but her friend Luke was actually a useful pest repellant.

"What's happening here?"

Just from the sound of that voice, the girls calmed down...or rather shut their mouths with fear in their eyes. Just from the look of their faces you could tell they were afraid of whomever just spoke.

I looked over my shoulder and immediately understood why.

Another Capture Target has appeared.

######

Author's Note:
Hello thirsty readers, sorry for not updating for 64f28dhsv736 years. I've been busy...well, I'm still busy now tho lol. Also, I might give a small gift in the future.