• PROLOGUE •

2009

It was not supposed to happen like this.

Amara had pictured a bright future for the child, where her life would be filled with content and she'll be brought up with all the love that she could possibly have gotten in the world. The notion of such fulfilling years being stripped away from such an innocent soul was heart-wrenching enough, but never did Amara thought they'd be burned to the ground, along with everyone that the child had loved.

By the time the woman appeared at the front yard, weak and exhausted, the nightmarish flames that covered the small house filled her line of sight and the intense heat of it prickled her skin even from afar. The rooftop had collapsed, the walls were wrinkling up as blackened pieces of wood and dark ashes were beginning to form around the area. But those didn't compare on what was inside the house; the dreadful aura of death.

"No... no!" Amara cried, the pain in her heart was unbearable as she ran towards the inferno, willing herself to use whatever was left of her energy. But she didn't get far before two hands gripped her shoulder tightly, halting her in place. She struggled against them but it felt like they were made of stone; completely immovable and so rigid that the hold was beginning to hurt.

"Amara..." a voice pleaded, someone awfully familiar to her but it didn't matter right now, not when the house in front of them was being brought down to ashes with each moment.

"Let me go, Tabitha." She panted breathlessly and tried to move again, to no avail "Let me go!"

"You can't go in there, it's not safe-"

"But the girl- she's in there!" Amara had to hold back her sobs. Didn't her friend understand? "I know she's still-"

She felt the hands pull her around, making her look face to face with the other woman. Amara could see that Tabitha herself was pushed to the edge, for her usually youthful brown skin was now worn out and seemed to be covered with faint wrinkles, the curly locks of hair were dry with hints of white seeping from through the roots.

"Listen to me," Tabitha said, somehow still keeping a level head through this. "That is cursed fire, it's dark and volatile. Not even your light could have prevented the damage done."

"I know," she replied solemnly. "But I can save her. She's still in there, Tabitha. It's her own fire, she can't be harmed by it. But the smoke or any stray wood can." Amara wrapped her hands around her friend's. "So please, let me go inside."

"But it's dangerous..."

"Please," a single tear began to roll down her cheek.

Just then, they felt another presence appear right where they were standing. A pale hand laid on Tabitha's shoulder, cold but gentle. She didn't even have to turn around to know who it was.

"Nathaniel..." Tabitha felt her resolve weakening by the second. "She can't risk this."

"Let her go, dear." His voice was soft and wispy, a contrast to his scruffy appearance. "She'll never forgive herself if she didn't."

"But-"

"We can try to put the flames out from here. She will be fine."

Tabitha pursed her lips as conflicting thoughts filled her. She kept her gaze on Amara the whole time, a pained look in her eyes. For a while, it looked as though she wanted to keep on arguing but she knew that it would only waste time to go against their decision. So she finally loosened her grip on her friend's shoulder, allowing Amara to wriggle her way out, but not before a surge of energy passed through their contacted skin.