Chapter five

JASON

I fanned my face.

"Why the hell is it so hot?" Percy asked, taking a huge drink of water.

"I don't know," Frank said. "But I don't like it."

"I feel like I'm standing in a fire," Piper said, walking up to me. She sat in a chair in at the kitchen table and wiped her forehead with her arm.

Piper, Annabeth, Hazel and Calypso were all wearing shorts and tank tops. Frank and I were wearing the best clothing for this scorching weather; dry-fit shirts and basketball shorts. Nice and airy, but I was still hot. Percy on the other hand, was shirtless. Leo wasn't even in the room.

"This is ridiculous," Calypso mumbled. She had an ice cube in her hand and was dabbing it on her forehead, cheeks and neck. It seemed a bit odd, but apparently it working.

Annabeth came over with a wet towel draped over her face. Percy looked at her with his eyebrows raised.

"What?" she asked. "It's refreshing."

"Really?" Perch grabbed the towel and put it over his own face.

"Hey!" Annabeth yelled.

Percy wrinkled his nose and removed the towel. "Ew. There's Annabeth sweat on it."

The blonde blushed bright red and grabbed the towel back from him, slapped his shoulder with it, then put it back on her forehead.

A few seconds later, Leo came walking into the room. His outfit was... Strange. He was shirtless, but he was wearing a pair of bright purple shorts. And when I said shorts, I mean short shorts. Like, girl shorts.

Piper's eyes widened. "Leo! Are those my shorts?!"

Leo looked at Piper and nodded. "Yeah. They're great."

"Um... Why are you wearing girl's shorts?" Frank asked.

"Have you ever tried a pair on?" Leo asked. "They're so much better than basketball shorts. I mean, they're shorter. My legs get more air."

Piper put her head in her hands and groaned. "I am never wearing those shorts again."

"So... Can I have them?" Leo asked.

Piper looked at him. "Sure."

Leo muttered a 'yes!' under his breath.

Calypso rolled her eyes.

"Are those actually... Good?" Percy asked.

"Dude," Leo said, "You need to get a pair. They will change your life."

Percy scrunched up his eyebrows, then turned to Annabeth. "Hey, Annabeth, could I-?"

"No," Annabeth snapped. She put the towel on the back of her neck.

"Hey!" Hazel suddenly said. "Let's go to the lake. The water's probably nice and cold."

"Yeah," Percy agreed. "I need to get away from this heat."

"Agreed," Frank said.

"I don't know," Leo said. "I'm pretty good in my shorts."

"I'm going with Hazel's idea," Piper said, standing up. "I'm gonna go get changed."

***

"LEO!"

Calypso was screaming at Leo. He had just cannonballed into the lake (still in his girl shorts), and had gotten Calypso drenched from head-to-toe.