Story, part 2

4

Amy and Jenny sat quietly on Jenny’s rooftop. They weren’t shocked, they had guessed for a while now that Darren may do something like this. They were, however, very, very annoyed. The fairy like earth elementals could feel Jenny’s annoyance and frantically buzzed around her chattering away. Even though neither Jenny nor Amy could understand the fairies, Jenny was in tune with their emotions enough that she could understand their meaning. They wanted her to feel happy, and even more important, they thought it was silly for her to be wasting her time thinking about the dark creature. They had seen him with her before, and yes he seemed nice, but they knew of the dark ones and were sure he should not be trusted. Now they felt righteous in their complaints. Just as they had said, he had hurt their Jenny’s feelings.

Amy was not in tune with them as Jenny was, but she could definitely get a small sense of their emotions. Which she assumed meant they could feel hers too. Yet there were twenty glowing fairies around Jenny, which were all ignoring Amy. She wasn’t jealous, she was just aware of it! She was also aware that Jenny’s glow was brighter now that her elementals surrounded her. It made her long for the sea...or any level of water really. She needed the comfort that water came with. She looked at Jenny, “wanna go to Mrs Perry’s?”

Jenny instantly nodded, understanding Amy’s need. Mrs Perry’s pool was the closest around and Amy always seemed so alive in that garden...and in the rain, Amy loved the rain. Amy stood up and was gone. Disappearing into the night sky. Jenny jumped down from the roof and landed easily on the grass, barely bending her knees. Then at fairy like speed, took off running and vaulting the three fences between her garden and Mrs Perry’s.  It took her less than two seconds.

Amy watched Jenny land in Mrs Perry’s  rose bush, she herself was already sat by the pool, letting her feet hang in the water. Her wide smile showed how much more comfortable she was here. It made Jenny smile to see Amy happy. In fact, Amy’s smile often made its audience smile too, it was just infectious like that. Jenny’s own smile had a serious note to it and always did. She was not overly serious herself, but she was definitely a thought filled person, always working things out before doing anything. Amy on the other hand felt her way through life. Always aware of exactly what would make her happy or content. Not to say she too, didn’t think things through because she did, especially when it came to her outfits. Amy had a need to co-ordinate and always did. She did of course have those days all girls have, when a comfortable pair of jogging bottoms was the only way forward. Amy reached up and tied her hair into a ponytail. Something she would not have dared do had she been near Darren who was very aware of the fact that Amy was very ticklish, very, very ticklish. Such an action near Darren would have been an invitation to be tortured by tickle. There were moments during such torture where Amy, laughing hysterically, yet really wanting it to stop...was aware that this might just be how she finally dies. With her hair now safely tied, she dropped into the pool. She felt herself expand. It was as though she was part of water itself. She felt every ripple, every bubble. It was far more intense than the way the moon connected her to the world. She took off darting around the pool.

Jenny watched her wondering if she was actually swimming. From where Jenny was stood, Amy was just a blue torpedo shooting gracefully around a swimming pool. Finally Amy popped her head out near the edge. Her glow brighter than before.  “Lucky you need to breath,” Jenny said, “otherwise I'm pretty sure you’d never come out.” Amy Laughed “Yeah, I don’t think I would.”

 Jenny walked a little closer to the pool and sat down as close as she could without having to step off Mrs Perry’s grass and onto the poolside tiles. This was not something she did consciously, but she had been aware for a long time that she had such weirdness present in her. Long ago, far before her 16th birthday and awakening of her powers. She had always stayed as close to real earth as she could in any given situation. Her parents had, had a hard time getting her to board a plane the first time they’d tried to take her on holiday at the age of 9. Jenny had suddenly had a panic attack in the airport, totally convinced that something terrible would happen should she get on the plane. She was sick for the entire journey, which made her instantaneous good health upon landing all the more noticeable.  That had been around the same time that Jenny’s parents had decided to move to Hertfordshire, where Jenny had met Amy and where they had both met Darren.