Story, part 4

9

Jenny stared at Amy. They were sat at the small round wooden table in Jenny’s kitchen. Though Amy was used to catching Jenny staring at her, appreciating her glow. This was not the same stare. This was a confused and worried stare. Amy looked down at the mug between her hands and eyed its contents with false interest. She didn’t know how long she would last, Jenny’s glow was definitely the prettiest thing in the room.

“I’m confused, why do you look so sad?” mused Jenny, “ It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. I wonder how you did it, do you think I’d be able to do it if you were in danger?”, she gasped, “do you think we could do it on purpose, that would be amazing, maybe it’s a level of power we’ve just never....maybe, I’ve  never done it before because I’ve just never needed to.” She paused a moment and thought, before suddenly standing up, “That’s it come on, we’re going to the park, I have to know how much I can do.”

“No Jen. I...It’s late, what if your Dad or Mum come and check for you? They’ll be worried.”

“Hmmm, maybe. Then again, I’m pretty sure neither of them has come to check if I’m sleeping well since I was...oh I don’t know, about 7 years old!”

“You wouldn’t know, you’d be asleep!”

Jenny frowned and sat back down. “What’s really wrong, you’ve been like this since we left Mrs Perry’s garden, do you want to go back?”

“No, it’s not that, it’s just....” Amy finally lifted her eyes from her Mug and was glad she did, Jenny’s pretty green glow danced excitedly behind her eyes, but that was not the point, she had to stay focused. “The look on your face, you were so scared, I didn’t mean to...”

“Scared because I had just woken up and, the pool, the dome, all of it was just a lot, plus let’s not forget that I had just felt Pixel’s...” She let her comment end. She didn’t need to or want to have to think of it again. When they had left Mrs Perry’s garden to return to Jenny’s home. The earth elementals had gone to find their brother whose fear they had all felt. They had brought his body to Jenny’s house. Jenny wasn’t sure why, she had not known what they expected her to do. She had dug a grave and Amy had watched as they returned Pixel’s body to the earth, void of his soul, void of Pixel himself. Pixel had left this plane and gone on to another adventure elsewhere. The elementals had reported the dark presence they had felt as they collected his body. A couple of them had said it reminded them of Her. Though they gave ‘Her’ no name. Darren too had slipped a couple of times just before he would run off in the evening. Saying that ‘She’ would be there soon, or he didn’t want ‘Her’ anywhere near them. Until this night neither Jenny nor Amy had been very scared of Her, but now, they took Her as a personal threat to themselves and their beloved elementals. It had yet to quite sink in, but when it did, and it would soon. They would decide they had to do something about Her.

Jenny’s mind came back to her conversation with Amy. “There were other things Amy. It wasn’t you...i mean, you added to it, but it wasn’t you entirely, you were, beautiful. I’ve never seen someone so alive so glowing, it’s like you were on fire.”

Amy smiled, “it did feel pretty good.”

Jenny jumped on her chance, “great so let’s go and work out how to do this” then in a cheeky, near heroic voice she declared “to the park!”

Amy laughed, it was fun to see Jenny so happy, so free from her overly thought filled mind, and it was strange that she was the one who was going to have to bring up the important issue but she knew she had to. “What about Darren” she said, and felt almost instantly guilty as she watched Jenny’s face fall and that sensible composure retake her best friend.