Chapter3. unforeseen Complications

Leaving the humid Yunnan jungle in China for Musutafu Japan was something Doctor Emma Russell was both grateful and annoyed about, she had spent the past several years studying the Kaiju quirked woman who had taken to hibernating within the ruins of an ancient temple. Such behaviour was not uncommon for those with Kaiju quirks, it was not yet understood why those with a Kaiju quirk would seek to hibernate. This woman had been the bedrock for the last several years of study and research by Emma and her team so that with the results from the various in-depth scans they had managed to achieve. It was through these scans they had been able to nearly perfect the Orca device and hopefully utilise it to give those with Kaiju quirks back some of their minds.

They had been reading everything to run the Orca's first field test when Serizawa had called, it was a call Emma had been expecting at some point but not on the day that they were going to test the Orca. If Emma was a woman of faith and not science she would have put his call down to divine intervention, but she was not, and it was thanks to the information Serizawa had shared and the orders he had given that lead to Emma packing up all of her equipment and daughter for the three hour flight to Musufatu Japan.

She understood why Serizawa had made it clear testing the Orca on a Kaiju quirked who was not hibernating was a variable they could handle easier, while a hibernating Kaiju quirked would need to be woken first then subjected to the Orca it was more likely that being disturbed would send them into a rage. It was something Monarch did not want, so instead the Orca's test would be carried out on a Kaiju quirked who was not in hibernation.

A young girl she had met once before, the daughter of a who had long since become a close friend, the first true test of the Orca would be carried out on Izumi Midoriya in hopes of bringing the girl back to her senses. It was an ambitious plan if nothing else, one Emma knew she would have done herself in a heartbeat if her daughter or, if he was still alive, son found themselves in the same situation.

While it had been annoying to pack up and being the relocation to Musufau there was a single saving grace, and that was her daughter Maddison. The girl's raw excitement about heading to a city filled with heroes had been infectious, while she had shown a keen interest in the scientific field and a mind to match such a life was not what the young girl wanted. It was clear to Emma that all her daughter really wanted was the life of a normal pre-teen girl, with this relocation to Musutafu her daughter would finally get that chance to just be a normal child. Something Emma was not going to let slip away, even if it would only be for the briefest of moments.

Slowly the Monarch osprey touched down on the rooftop of a single highrise building that on the outside simply blended in with the rest of the city skyline, yet inside, however, it was a different story this highrise was Monarchs centre for operation control within the Pacific region, this freed up the headquarters in Tokyo to deal with coordinating worldwide operations.

As the ramp lowered to reveal the overcast sky that had been a persistent part of Musutafu's skyline, standing on the landing platform waiting for her was Serizawa his face etched with the typical stoic visage he was known for. Once the ramp had fully lowered Emma began making her way down towards him, the Orca device clutched firmly in her right hand while she guided Maddison with her left. Slowly as she approached Serizawa's expression began to soften into a friendly smile, one Emma had seen the first time she and her ex-husband had first revealed the Orca devices prototype to him.

"Doctor Serizawa." Emma smiled as she walked up to him, it was a surprise that he was waiting for her personally, normally a small security team would have been waiting to escort her to whatever conference room he had commandeered, if Emma had to guess it was likely because she was a day later then the two day window she had been given to pack up and arrive. "I apologise for the delay, it took longer than expected to remove the Orca from outpost sixty-ones systems." Not a complete lie, but the entire truth as Emma did not want to admit they had spent an entire day trying to find Maddison only to discover she had snuck past the containment barriers of the Kaiju quirked woman for no other reason than 'she needed to see her up close.' Would likely not be well received.