Chapter 9 Flatlined

Pressing a towel against a man who was nearly dying wasn't exactly on your to do list. But if you could help, you would. Sharon wasn't that bad company either as the two of you pressed the now cut and damp piece of a towel against fury in an attempt to stop the bleeding before help arrives.

You're not sure if you trust her though, not because she wasn't a good person but you never know fury said not to trust anyone. He had passed out long ago, the lack of blood and loosing it so fast causing him to loose consciousness. But you couldn't help but worry about Steve. You knew that help was on the way and all. But Steve was out there fighting someone you didn't even see. You hoped he was okay. Was it silly to worry about him this much? Maybe, but he was a friend now, at least you think he is. And you weren't loosing another friend.

"I didn't catch him." Steve finally reentered the apartment through the window. Looking a little unhappy with himself as he walked in only to stop short seeing you and Sharon on the floor beside the couch where fury had been moved too. It was more comfortable for him there so the two of you had moved him. There was a bowl of now orange water and some cut up towels next to it, all of them damp and clearly had been used to clean most of the blood. And beside all that were any medical kits you and Sharon could find in the length of time Steve was gone. But none of it was really helpful right now.

"That's okay, as long as you got back safe. You probably scared him off anyway." You joked a bit standing up from the floor to better look at Steve. You were careful not to touch him or get too close, you didn't want to get any blood on him even if most of it on your blouse and dress (pants/skirt) were dried now.

"What happened? You were gone a little longe than we thought you'd be, I was starting to get worried." There you were joking again but you couldn't help it now, it was almost a coping mechanism. You wanted cry or even scream from all the events that had happened, just from the shock of it all. What if that had been Steve?

"Chased him but he managed to slip away, don't know where he went. But he dropped this. Look familiar to you?" Steve lifted his hand which had been clutching the piece of jewelry, showing it to you now opening his hand. There laying delicately at the palm was (B/F/F/J). Your breathing hitched in your chest, and with a shaky hand you reached for the jewelry. Only to stop seeing the blood on your fingers. But still you wanted to touch it.

You knew exactly what it was, who it belonged to, but what would a hired shooter be doing carrying this around? Unless this was a message. It was intentional for you or Steve to find this. Like who ever knew that fury would be here of all places would know you'd be with Steve. Your eyes began to water but you chose to keep the tears in for now taking a deep breath as you carefully examined the piece.

"If it looks familiar maybe we can trace back who dropped it." Steve offered his hand to you, letting you know that it was okay for you to take or even with the blood on your hands. Looking at it you finally took it picking it up as you looked over the (earring/necklace/bracelet/ring). You were starting to breath a little shakily and to say you weren't concerned was an understatement.

"This is..." you trailed off letting your fingers trace over the jewelry thinking about (B/F/N). You remember giving her this for her birthday one year. It was a surprise party and you remembered giving this to her, shouting surprise and that this was a gift for being the best friend and best bodyguard in the business. That was a day you didn't want to forget it was such a happy day. She told you she'd wear (these/this) till the day she died. You knew that the time she was being dramatic but. What if she kept true to that promise?

"This belonged to um," you couldn't find the words and when you met Steve's gaze he knew in an instant who this belonged to, "this belonged to her. This Um, this belonged to (B/F/N)"