1.

"Don't do anything stupid until I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

Bucky stared up at Steve, unable to say anything else. He knew, in his heart, what was going to happen. He had just gotten his best friend back, and he couldn't bear to think that he was going to be leaving again. Steve's bright blue eyes glimmered behind his mask, one hand clutching the case of stones, the other Mjolnir. In a matter of seconds, Steve would be flying through time, with the world at his feet. Given limitless opportunities, Bucky highly doubted that Steve would choose to stay with him. "I'm gonna miss you, buddy..." Bucky mumbled under his breath, hoping Steve wouldn't hear his voice trembling.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck," Steve reassured both his friend and himself, mentally preparing for what he was going to do.

"Alright, big guy, you ready?" Bruce questioned, pressing buttons and flipping switches on his complicated looking console. Steve eyed Bucky one last time, pulling him in for a short, brotherly hug before stepping onto the illuminated platform in front of him. "Remember, you're just putting the stones back at the exact place in time we took them from. Anything else you do, another timeline will be created. So, uh, keep that in mind." Steve nodded, a look of pure determination on his perfectly chiseled face. "Departing in 5...4..." Bucky stared at Steve, wishing, praying that he wouldn't leave him. "3...2..." Steve noticed Bucky staring and looked him in the eye, a sad smile creeping onto his face. "1." He disappeared in a burst of light.

"And returning in 5..." Bucky growled slightly, pacing back and forth against the forest floor. "4...3...2...1..."

There was a pop and a flash of blinding white, and then silence. Everyone stared at the glowing platform, concern and confusion reflecting in their eyes. Bucky muttered an inaudible curse in Russian under his breath, hanging his head. The platform was empty. Steve was gone.

The winter soldier turned his head, looking out at the lake. A small man with a round case was perched on a bench, staring out at the still water. Bucky hesitated, but walked forward towards the man, letting his friend Sam pass him.

"Cap? Is that you?" Falcon questioned, bewildered at the sight of the once formidable captain now wrinkled and aged. The man smiled up at him, reaching out a shaking palm for a handshake. A tarnished golden band was wrapped around his ring finger, and Sam grabbed his hand warmly, smiling at the sight. "So, you wanna tell me about her?"

Steve smirked slightly, thinking about the love of his life. Long brown hair, stunning blue eyes... the memory was perfect. "No. I don't think I will," he said, looking up at Sam, and glancing knowingly back at Bucky, who seemed confused. He suddenly remembered something and picked up the circular case of leather next to him. Steve patted the opening slightly, intending that Sam should take the package. Sam pulled the vibranium disc out of its compartment, admiring the metallic blue and red paint. "Try it on," Steve told him, smiling lightly. Sam eased it onto his arm slowly, being careful not to cut himself on the sharp edge. "How does it feel?" Steve questioned.

"Like it's someone else's." Sam smiled down at his friend, wondering how he had repaired his shield after Thanos had destroyed half of it.

"It isn't," Cap remarked, glancing at Sam and then back at the lake. He closed his eyes and let the warmth of the sun wash over him, stirring memories of the past. "I got one of those 'lives' Natasha was telling me about," he said quietly.

"And?"

"It was beautiful ..." Steve opened his eyes once more.

Ten feet away, with tears in his eyes, Bucky smiled. 

A/N: take it easy on me, this is my first story. also sorry this chapter is so short ahh. I promise I'll get better as it goes along, so stick along :) anyways, what do you guys think so far?