Four

Peter always seems to know when something's up.

Or maybe it was the fact that I almost started crying when I took a corner a little too sharp and my tire hit the curb.

When we walk into the house, Mom and Dad are talking politics.

"―And the article said that the liberal Democrats are going to take away our guns and in turn our freedom," Dad is saying. "What happened to the second amendment? How will we protect ourselves?"

"All because of some school shootings," Mom says. "Yeah, it's bad, but we have a right to bear arms!" She throws the dishrag she was using to dry the dishes onto the counter.

I roll my eyes and isolate myself in my room to avoid everyone, but Peter knocks on my door anyway. "Sean?" I hear from the other side. "Can I come in?"

I stay silent in hopes that he'll give up, but he doesn't. He ends up just coming in anyway after a few seconds. "Is everything okay?" he asks.

I stare at him and slowly shake my head. I could tell him right now. I could come to terms with it and I know he would still accept me because we've talked before about how extreme our parents were with Claire's situation.

Peter sits on the edge of my bed. "Is it because of Mom and Dad?"

I sit up and scoot closer to him. "Sort of," I say.

"You wanna talk about it?"

I shrug.

"Is it their political views?"

"Part of it."

We sit in silence for a few beats. "You know you can tell me anything Sean," Peter says.

"I have a crush," I tell him. He stares at me, but I just watch my hands.

"Is she pretty?"

"He's gorgeous," I say. I raise my head and look at him. His eyes are wide.

Peter flings himself onto me and gives me a giant hug. I could feel him sobbing, causing me to join. "Does that mean I'm going to lose you too?" he asks between breaths.

"This stays between us, okay?" I rub his back. "Mom and Dad can't know. I'm not going to leave you, Peter. It will be okay."

"I still love you, Sean. I really, really do."

"I love you too."