Chapter 53: Eighty-Five Points

As the line of trucks rolled down the hillside road that overlooked a serine, crystal clear lake nestled between rows of mountains that went back as far as the eye could see, every man and woman of Easy Company suddenly forgot all about Berchtesgaden. While the war had no doubt provided the company with many a beautiful view, Austria was so far the most breathtaking place many of the troopers had seen in their entire lives. 

At least, that statement was true for both Margot and Annie.

"That's it," Annie chirped, her hands on the side railing of the truck and her blonde hair blowing in the breeze as she stared out at the lake. "I'm moving to Austria."

Pointing to a large, snow-tipped mountain in the distance, Talbert chuckled. "So, you reckon they'll make us run up those or ski down them?"

"Maybe they'll give us sleds and Margot can make up for her Christmas day disaster," George taunted, earning laughs from only himself and the two girls as they were the only ones present who knew about Margot's great fear of sledding. The rest of the men on the truck cracked smiles too, however, just happy to be involved in such a cheerful conversation.

As the convoy passed a field full of working women, the men all stood up and waved like mad, each and every one of them desperate to get the attention of a beautiful Austrian woman. 

As soon as the vehicles stopped next to the large, hotel-looking building that the troops would be staying in, the men and women hopped out of the back of the trucks, eager to see and do everything Austria had to offer. 

While the officers dealt with the final, in-person surrenders of the German soldiers in the country, Easy Company headed inside to watch a film based solely on the war in Okinawa; the war they all hoped they could avoid getting involved in and just get sent home instead. However, the mood in the room given off by the newly arrived officers once the film was over wasn't one that struck hope into many people. 

As Margot stood up from her chair and grabbed her jacket, she caught the look on Winters' face as he stood in the corner of the room; it was the look of the man who had just caught a glimpse into his future. The only thing Margot could do then was pray that she and Dick Winters didn't share the same future. 

The praying didn't do much good, however, because it wasn't long after that the Paratroopers were given the good news and the bad news. The good news was that those who had enough points would be going home but the bad news was that the number of soldiers who possessed enough points was very small, meaning that for almost all of Easy Company, including Margot and Annie, they would be sticking around to wait for the news about redeployment.

Having only a day or so of freedom before it was back to drills and training, many of the company members decided to make the most of their time off and spend it doing things that they enjoyed; and for a one Shifty Powers, that meant hunting. 

Word spread fast that Shifty was planning on going out to see if he could scrounge up something good for dinner, and before he knew it he had a small group who wanted to tag along, Annie included. At first, Annie hadn't really been all too keen on participating but after Liebgott bugged her over and over again to come with, she finally gave in and joined them. 

"Now I know it's in your instincts as a medic, but remember Annie, if one of us manages to shoot something, you do not need to go running out to patch the animal up and save its life. We want it to die," Joe mocked as he trudged through the brush with Annie on his heels, earning a firm smack on the back for his joke. 

"I knew I shouldn't have come." Annie folded her arms across her chest and rolled her eyes as she stayed in the back, being the only one without a rifle.