[01] settle

author's note — please keep in mind that the symptoms of maddie's schizophrenia may not be a hundred percent accurate

author's noteplease keep in mind that the symptoms of maddie's schizophrenia may not be a hundred percent accurate.

┌────────────┐
REECE LITTLE
└────────────┘

SETTLE
▬▬▬▬
FIVE MONTHS LATER

LOVE WAS in the air—he could sense it, feel it and most importantly breathe it as he walked around the cold  supermarket, the hairs in his arms and legs standing up with goosebumps peppering his skin. He didn't anticipate that it would be this cold at 9 AM. His hazel eyes scanned through aisles, searching for the sweetest gifts, ones he hoped would make Maddie awe with delight, a sugary smile brightening up her depressed and gloomy face. He honestly doesn't remember the last time he actually saw her with a euphoric look on her face. But today, he hoped he could change that.

    The last few months were quiet. He had asked Mark if he could have a holiday. His boss had asked for how long? But Reece ignored the question, sweeping it under the rug to be forgotten about, and said he'll just call him when he feels ready to come back. Before Mark could ask any further questions, he hung up, shoved his black flip phone into his pocket and joined Maddie on the small couch, ready for movie night. Mark has tried countless times to reach him, however, when Reece saw his name flash on the little screen on top of the flip phone, he just let it ring out.

    The place they were staying at belonged to him for quite some time, it was smaller than his other place they were staying in before. This one was in the midst of the city-life, compared to the isolated building they were living in for a few months before leaving. He knew Maddie didn't want to stay there after what he made her do, so the best option to keep Maddie under the radar of society's many eyes—real ones and technology—and keep her feeling secure and safe, they had to move here. Yes, Maddie never left the small place, but he supposed she was okay with that, because she was in front of the TV every hour of the day, sitting on the floor, scratching her arms, legs—anywhere that had easy access for her fingernails. He tried to keep her nails as short as possible in order to keep her from hurting herself. Alas, she still managed to make her skin cry crimson, and every time he saw the red liquid bleed out of her, his soul would break and cry and punch him. He knew there was something wrong with her—not anything bad, though—he didn't know how to help her.

    Maddie was the perfect representation of hope to him; hope for something better, hope that they will get through this horrible world together where it's safe for both of them. Because only then will she be safe from her mother finding out.

    Grabbing a two litre bottle of chocolate milk, he decided that everything in his arms right now was enough to bring that bright and magical smile back onto her face. Even if it was just for a moment. Placing everything on the cash register, the cashier started scanning them.