Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Interrogation of Doroteya

When I awoke in the hotel room, I smelled the coffee brewing and heard the shower going. I woke feeling relaxed, now that I would be getting some answers today. I pulled the covers off and turned the news on the hotel television before grabbing myself some of the food Pasha set out for us from the hotel breakfast. The FBI was given the first interrogation, since their investigation was counterintelligence and not part of our case. That meant we did not have to go meet them for our interrogation until after noontime. Pasha left a note from Donald on the table for me, assuming I would wake up while he was in the shower. The note read "Sarin, Pasha; meet me at the Hoover building at 1300. -Donald." I looked at the clock, it said 10:12, so we had time to wait here with the TV on and eat.

It is now 12, noon, and Pasha and I are getting ready to head to the Hoover building. I had taken the time we had to relax, but also to write my questions for Doroteya. Daniel got his time and he said his final goodbye at the Hoover building and checked on his brother as well. Craig, as it turns out, has been very useful to the FBI and tracking down the cell and the cartel he worked with. He might even get that reduced sentence, or maybe even no sentence if a good lawyer can prove he was forced into the life and was not a willing participant. Pasha dressed himself in a polo shirt and nice, dark jeans. He did not have to be as dressy as I do because he is not an actual employee, nor will he be in the room interrogating her. I dressed myself in a dark, powder blue button down top, black blazer and black slacks. I grabbed the new bag I bought in the lobby of the airport and made sure my written questions were inside. I opened the app Donald helped me install on my new phone, something called Pick-up, for getting rides without using the cabs. I set up our pickup as we turned off the television and headed down into the lobby to wait for them.

I walked fast into the building after receiving a text from Donald saying that the CIA was trying to transport her and handle her case themselves. That could not happen because she is a legal resident, and a born citizen, ergo she has to be tried as any other American citizen working for a foreign adversary. The FBI handles all domestic investigations and the CIA is foreign intelligence only. He knows this of course, so my explaining that to him was pointless. I swiped the card they had given me yesterday, a temporary entrance card. When I am done working with the FBI and have all of our information, the card will be deactivated. I held the door for Pasha, and we went through the security entrance before getting into the main building and making our way up the elevator. As I walked up to the two arguing men, they stopped and turned towards me. Donald pulled himself off the wall and walked over, "they have been at it since I texted you," he said to me. I looked at my deputy director and told him, "you know you can't take her legally. We have no ground to try her ourselves." He nodded and walked away, obviously frustrated with this outcome. I understand his position, she was an employee of his for many years, and never came into the radar detection of the seasoned agent. The FBI director thanked me and walked me down to the interrogation room where they had her waiting for us.

As we walked into the viewing room, I lost my nerve. She was right there, on the other side of the glass, and the nerves set in me like a wildfire. My list is small, but it gets right to the point. My only purpose is to get answers for my memory wipe, the actual investigating is not my purpose, nor is the outcome of her trial. The deputy director joined us after his storm off. He walked to the file sitting on the table and handed me the manila folder, letting me look over the previous interrogation notes and any transcript that could tie into what I am looking for. Donald had done a good job in his part, the talk in the plane was brought up to purposely be transcribed for the record. She states, again, for the record that she was never able to leave the cell with her children because of the abuse of her husband who was dominating of them. She decided to, instead of defecting, help as many people as she through the records, I was one. I looked over the notes, the sloppy handwriting of Donald and the FBI interrogator. Nothing much of their writing was useful to my cause, except one note from Donald, "ask her what happened to your partner, Devin." I closed the file and pulled the list out of my bag, handing it to Donald to let him look over it before I head in there. He gave it a look over and said it was good, seeing the nervousness on my face, he said he would come in with me.