Da-Doo

Y/N POV

I look up with a smile as I hear the bell ring. Audrey walk in looking healthier than she has in a long time.

"Well hello there, Audrey! Sit anywhere you like." 

"I was actually wondering if Johnathon was in..." She says smiling slightly.

I nod knowingly, "Of course, he's around back in his office. He'll be mighty pleased to see ya, Audrey." 

She smiles brightly at me.

"Oh and that reminds me, Seymour told me to ask you to stop by after your shift." 

I smile and nod. She gives me a knowing look and heads back.

I greet my next customer with a plastered on smile, hoping the tips would be bigger this way. Seymour and I have been saving up the best we can. Buying the absolute minimum necessary to live. It hasn't been easy, and we both knew it was going to continue to be difficult to live this way, but we just desperately wanted to be married and move away from Skid Row.

We'd been courting for around a month now. Seymour had grown a couple plants the looked vaguely like Twooie, but nothing quite so incredible. Business was still quite good despite that though. People weren't about to forget the giant monstrous plant. 

I was relieved to find that after all the time I had spent with Seymour, he still was the sweetest, gentlest and most wonderful man in all of Skid Row.

Another hour passes and I keep my happy over enthusiastic exterior strong, doing just about everything but beg for tips. I wipe my hands on my apron and mind the till for a half hour while my coworker takes the second half of what should be my break. I keep shortening them in hopes of making more and more money.

The situation down in Skid Row isn't ideal for making quick money, but it would have to do.

My coworker returns and once more I'm tending tables and working my ass off to please a bunch of awful jerks.

Finally my shift ends and I clock out. I fold up my apron, slip on my jacket and grab my purse before slipping out the back to 'Mushnik's'.

I smile as I see Seymour dealing with a few customers through the window. I head in and check the time. 5 to 6. His shift was nearly done, but he had to deal with both of them, since Mr. Mushnik was uptown for the dentist (you know, because Skid Row's was currently in prison). 

Seymour grins when I enter the shop and I smile back before approaching the frustrated looking unattended customer.

"Excuse me ma'am, how can I be of assistance?" 

"I was looking to buy a dozen roses, but I don't know anymore." she says, clearly upset by something.

"Why not, ma'am?" 

"That other woman is looking to buy 100$ worth of roses and I don't know if there will be any left." she grumbles.

I nod and smile, "Seymour, do we have any roses out back?"

He rubs the back of his neck, "Well we do... but they're multicoloured."

I look to the woman, "Well we have more, but they wouldn't be your classic red roses."

The woman shrugs and looks relieved, "It sounds wonderful actually."

I smile and pat her arm gently, "A dozen multicoloured roses coming right up, ma'am. Please just wait by the counter."

I head back and fetch the roses. I notice in a pot beside all the variations of Twooie look alikes the most identical version yet.

My breathing gets faster and heavy. Panic. I shake my head and pull myself together to help the customer out front.

I return with another faux smile and sell her the roses. Seymour finishes up with his customer and closes the shop as I return to the back.

"Hey, Y/n, I guess Audrey delivered the message?" He said smiling.

I turn to him with a small smile and a nod.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asks quickly getting beside me to look at what I was staring at.

"Oh you noticed, Greenie, huh?"

I look up at him and nod, "It's incredibly close looking. I think this would draw business for sure." I say softly.

"What's the matter?" he asks putting an arm around me.

"Just bad memories I guess." I say shrugging.

"They weren't all so bad." he responds, kissing my cheek.

"No but I did almost feed myself to a murderous plant." I say chuckling.

He nods and smiles a little.

"Well this little guy doesn't crave blood. Just fertilizer, water once a week, and a dark spot." 

I grin and pull him into a hug.

"Thank god." I laugh.

He smiles and picks it up.

"I think it's time we put Greenie in the window, eh?" 

I nod and hold his hand as we head to the front.

We place Greenie on the centre display and a fly trap on one side and a variation of fungi on the other.

"Greenie is the work of a masterful cross breeding botanical genius." I say as I wrap my arm around his waist.

He grins and leans down to kiss me.

"We get closer to our dream every day, you know." 

I nod and lean my head on his shoulder.

"I was thinking of names for the shop we'll open." I inform him.

"Oh yeah? What is it?" 

"Well people were so interested in Twooie because it was unknown and scary, so I think we should call it the shop of horrors." I say 

He nods and laughs a bit, "Maybe something less menacing... like, the little shop of horrors." 

I laugh and nod.

"That sounds perfect."

He grins at me and takes my hand.

"We should go out and celebrate." He says.

I raise my eyebrows. 

"Should we now?" 

"Yeah, we should! Let's go dancing." 

I smile and grab my purse.

"Well hurry then, let's go dancing." 

He grins at me and kisses my cheek before dashing out back to get a jacket.

I look down at Greenie and sigh. I poke the trap on the top and nothing happens. I feel at ease, at least slightly. He runs back in, slightly out of breath and grabs my hand before pulling me out of the shop. He locks up and then we're gone. We head to the nearest dance club and don't bother with any drinks.

For that night we were going to let go a little and dance. It finally felt like there was no eclipse of the sun, no evil plant, nothing that had ever been out of the ordinary.

((word count 1058))