My First Visitor: A Cypress Perspective

In a world full of opportunities, you're more than likely to experience something for the first time in a way that is particularly memorable. Whether it's the first bite into an exotic dish, the first kiss of a passionate romance, or the first heartbreak from losing a loved one, there will always be strong emotions tied to it that leave a lasting impression. It's what encourages us to experiment and try new things, especially if it turns out to be more than what we expected.

I watched from the porch as Juniper assisted her first visitor. Up until this point, she had been observing what I did and practiced everything that went into the process. Now it was time for the real test, and I was confident that she was more than ready for it.

The visitor was your average man, not too tall or too short, and with no distinguishing features other than the small amount of hair gel in his earthy hair. Even his white polo shirt and khakis could be considered average at best. He was initially caught off-guard by Juniper greeting him, but was soon laughing and rubbing his neck with a nervous blush as the two conversed. Juniper then escorted him to the tree, making sure to answer any questions that he had.

The ritual was performed without any issues. The man placed down an old flip phone, recited a prayer, and had his offering transferred into his body to be converted into a new power. Interestingly, when the transformation was finished, the man had an antenna sticking out of his head. Holding back to the urge to laugh, Juniper held up a mirror to show the man, who stared at his reflection with shock and bewilderment. After poking it a bit to be sure it was real, he seemed to accept it and described his new power to her. She wrote it down, and the man left after expressing his gratitude.

Once he was gone, Juniper walked over to me with a cheerful grin and said, "So? How'd I do?"

I smiled back at her and answered, "Excellent. I know that one was simple, but what's important is that you had the basics down. Do you have any questions?"

Juniper paused to think it over. "Hm... what happens if he comes back pissed off? I mean... being able to call people without a phone sounds convenient, but I can see it going wrong really fast. Like calling random people in his sleep."

"You simply explain that there's nothing that can be done. The process is permanent. However, if he feels he needs assistance in honing his new power, hand him the business cards I keep on the table. They're the support groups I mentioned earlier. If he threatens to use violence, have Eddie or Anubis detain him and call the police."

"Got it," Juniper replied with a nod. She then sat next to me and breathed out a long sigh. "You've really got a nice system. Probably from decades of experiences, huh?"

"More or less," I said.

She gazed at me with bright, curious eyes. "What was your first visitor like? I know you've told me a little 'bout your dad, but I get the feeling he wasn't as helpful as you are with me."

I chuckled, ignoring the sad pang that came with recalling my late father. "You would be correct. And unfortunately, my first visitor wasn't nearly as simple as yours."

"Ohhh, do tell."

Hesitating to delve any further, I quickly scanned the empty area to see if anyone else was around. "Well... it's an embarrassing story, but since the others are out, I suppose we can keep this story between us."

"My lips are sealed!" Juniper said, motioning her hand over her mouth to imitate zipping it closed.

To start with, this occurred after my grandmother had died, but before I had provided an offering to the tree. My father saw no reason to rush, and thus I wasn't pressured to do so. However, it made sense to prepare in the meantime, so I was given the task of dealing with my first visitor. I had practiced beforehand and had plenty of experience conversing with people, yet I was still nervous. I wanted to impress my father more than anything, but I knew he'd find some fault in my methods and provide criticism rather than praise. Regardless, I was determined to fulfill my duty to the best of my ability.