Growing Age Debate: A Juniper Perspective

Giving an offering to Lagdrygis was a major decision that would affect you for the rest of your life regardless of the outcome. I knew that, and so did a lot of people. Some were slow to learn pick up on it, asking for a refund like this was some kind of magic store, but they'd eventually accept it and go with that they got. From what Cypress has shown me, no matter how bad things may seem, everything will work out in the end. It's just a matter of figuring out the best solution for you.

With this in mind, I was concerned when news reporters started banging at our gate, demanding that we answer all of their insane and personal questions. It was illegal to publish the magical details of Lagdrygis, yet you were allowed to go on about its importance as a national landmark, so it was more like asking about the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone Park. Cypress didn't care either way. He answered all of their questions without a single fib, white lie, or exaggeration. I admired how well he could handle crowds like that.

Later on, while I was chilling on the couch with Anubis watching the news, they brought up the reason why those reporters were piling in to get as much info as possible. The government was considering passing a bill to restrict access to the tree based on age. To be exact, no one under the age of eighteen would be able to visit it, which implied no one below that age could get new powers.

"That's bullshit," Eddie said, having heard the news while laying on the porch since the door was always open for some reason. "A lotta kids need powers to get through their childhood. It's almost synonymous with growing up."

"I can see why they're concerned," Cypress said from the other side of the room, poking his head out from his laptop. "People have become far more sensitive to instances of violence, and with the two cases that occurred recently, I'm sure they're rallying for the government to take action."

"Oh, yeah. I heard about that," I said while stroking Anubis's back. "The grenade guy and the kid who tried to jump. I guess people are worried it'll get worse somehow."

Eddie rolled his eyes. "Pft. This stuff happens once in a while. That's why we got prisons for that kinda thing. Why freak out now?"

"Because it's happening to children," Cypress said. "Or teenagers rather. Not that this is anything new. It's simply easier for word to spread and create panic."

"Right?!" Eddie said as he sat up and crossed his legs. "People are total pansies these days! 'Sides, even if they passed this dumb law, would you actually follow it?"

"Of course not," Cypress admitted. "It would go against the clan's code to accept all those who wish to provide an offering."

"But then they'd get in trouble if they got caught," I said. "I dunno what kind of punishment they'd put in place, but I don't think it's worth it. It might be better if they wait 'til they're older anyway. That way they're less likely to regret it."

"Age ain't got nothin' to do with it," Eddie said. "Folks assume you'll be all smarter and wiser when you're older, but there are plenty of old people still as dumb as babies. What matters is if you're committed to do it or not. If you're confident it's right and you're willin' to face what the tree gives ya, then it's all good."

"You honestly think a kid can make that kind of decision?"

"And you don't?"

I glared over to him, not really buying what he was saying, while he gave me the same in return. I figured we'd still have some differences, but I thought he'd at least be a little more open-minded. Some things never change, I guess.

"I very much understood both of your opinions," Cypress said, trying to keep us civil. "But do kind in mind you're both biased. Eddie received his powers when he was a child, while Juniper received hers as an adult. Therefore, you're limited to what you've experienced based on that."