Time After Time: A Cypress Perspective

We all have our regrets. Those instances where we mull over the mistakes we've made and how we could have done better. However, no matter how long or deep we think about it, it will never change the past. What's done is done. All we can do is learn from our experiences and attempt to improve in the future.

As I was out in the city with Juniper one day, I was reminded of one of my greatest regrets. We were strolling down the street, bags in tow, enjoying some family time together to celebrate Juniper passing her final exams. Since I wasn't wearing my green robes, just a simple dress shirt and pants, I seemed like any other doting relative. Not that I would wear my green robes outside of business relating to Lagdrygis anyway. I'm not that naïve.

But I digress. As we were moving along, my eye caught sight of a windowsill for a store selling antiques. Amongst the old dolls, globes, and pictures sat a cube-shaped mantel clock crafted from cherrywood. In fact, it was almost entirely made from wood, including the screws and internal gears, but both the minute and hour hands were present. I recognized it very well. My grandmother always had it over the fireplace, and she quite liked how it managed to be both useful and elegant. Originally, she purchased it from a European vendor as a gift for my mother to celebrate my birth, yet never did. It wasn't meant to be a toy for a child, so she held on to it until I was old enough to appreciate its value.

Noticing I had come to a complete stop, Juniper walked back to me and asked, "Whatcha looking at?"

"Nothing important," I said, my eyes still drawn to the clock like a magnet. "It's just that the clock there is the same one I gave up long ago, so I was feeling a bit nostalgic."

"That's super important!" Juniper replied with a huff. "You haven't told me anything about the time you got your powers. Even when the other two brought it up, you'd always change the subject. Why is that?"

"It's a very painful memory," I said, and the old scars embedded into my heart ached to voice their agreement. "So I prefer to keep it to myself."

"Did you ever tell anyone? Like your wives? Or Samuel?"

"Well... yes. But that was..."

"Then we have the right to know!" Juniper sighed and brushed a hand down her face to recompose herself. "Look. We want to know about you because we care about you. That's why we keep bugging you all the time. I know you've been through a lot, like triple what I'll experience in my lifetime, but we want to help you, and we can't do that if you keep being all mysterious."

"That's what I've been confused about this entire time," I said. "What is it that you all want to help me with?"

Juniper glanced over at the clock and rubbed the back of her neck. "I guess... with how lonely you are."

If I hadn't already heard those words before, I'm sure it would have a more profound effect on me. It was natural that since I liked to keep things at the distance, I would seem lonely. I had lost more than I have gained, so it was obvious I would be afraid of getting too close in fear of being hurt. Even so, I'm not cold-hearted, and I crave love like all other humans. Eventually, I will cave to those who wish to provide me with this unconditionally, and in exchange I grant them my undying loyalty. Knowing that I can love and be loved in return, regardless of how much time has passed, is what keeps me living. It seems like it was that time once again.

With a sense of appreciation warming my old, damaged heart, I smiled and said, "Alright. You win. We'll get everyone together and I'll tell you everything."

"Seriously?!" she said with her mouth agape from shock, which then upturned into a wide grin. "Awesome! I'm really glad you're finally coming around."